Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hippolyta was the Queen of the Amazons of Paradise Island, a society of immortal women who had lived for centuries in isolation from the outside world. Hippolyta magically created two daughters for herself from the clay of Paradise Island: Diana, who eventually went out into 'man's world' in order to become the heroine Wonder Woman, and Nubia, her dark skinned sister, who was taken from her by the war god Mars. Hippolyta also at some point adopted Donna Troy, the orphan who became Wonder Girl.
Hippolyta's relationship with Diana was often less than cordial; on one occasion, she was involved in the resurrection of Diana's dead lover, Steve Trevor but used him to test Diana's strength and loyalty by having him attack Paradise Island. Later, following Trevor's second death, Hippolyta erased her daughter's memories of him without her permission in order to spare her grief. Eventually though, Hippolyta gave her daughter her blessing to marry the again resurrected Trevor and presided over their wedding, shortly before all three were erased from existence in the aftermath of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- This version of Hippolyta, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- In keeping with her Greek origins, Hippolyta's name is sometimes spelled Hippolyte.
- It was not clear if this Hippolyta is the same person as the Hippolyta who was the queen of the Amazons in Greek antiquity, or if she is simply a later queen with the same name.
- According to information supplied in the second story in Wonder Woman (Volume 1) #100, Hippolyta is rumored to be at least one-hundred years old as per publishing year 1958. Details surrounding this rumor are speculative at best.
- 133 Appearances of Hippolyta (Earth-One)
- 3 Images featuring Hippolyta (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Earth-One)
- Queen Hippolyta at dccomics.com
- Queen Hippolyta at Wikipedia.org
- Hippolyta (comic) article at Wikipedia
- Hippolyta (myth) article at Wikipedia