Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Hippolyta is the Queen of the Amazons of Themyscira, and mother of Wonder Woman and a secret son, Jason. Though the children's father was Zeus, she concealed that by claiming Diana was sculpted from clay to escape Hera's wrath. What happened to her son is unknown.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Hippolyta was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter, first appearing in All-Star Comics #8. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hippolyta first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #2 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- 41 Appearances of Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Prime Earth)