Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Hippolyta is the Queen of the Amazons of Themyscira, and mother of Wonder Woman and a secret son, Jason. When Hippolyta found out she was pregnant with Zeus' children, she knew there was a chance one of them could be a boy, something that would be impossible to hide on Themyscira. Fearing Hera's jealous wrath, she contacted Glaucus to adopt her son if she were to have one in order to protect him.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Hippolyta was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter, first appearing in All-Star Comics #8. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hippolyta first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #2 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- 49 Appearances of Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Prime Earth)