Gaunt was a professor whose work was devoted to the study of the human brain. He was finally able to develop an electronic device that could boost the brain's power exponentially, and tested it on himself. The device vastly improved his cognitive abilities and also endowed him with a limited form of mental telepathy, which he began to use for his own personal profit by robbing banks and engaging in other criminal activity.
These robberies brought Gaunt to the attention of the costumed crimefighter Sandman and his teen sidekick, Sandy. Following a fierce battle, Gaunt was captured, and sentenced to prison for his crimes. He remains there as of this writing.
Increased intelligence and deductive reasoning ability, artificially induced
Device to increase intelligence in the human brain
- enemy of Sandman and Sandy
- This version of Answer Man, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Hiram Gaunt (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Hiram Gaunt (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Hiram Gaunt (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Hiram Gaunt (Earth-Two)