Hop Harrigan is the son of Colonel A. Harrigan and his wife Maria. Maria left the Colonel and took her daughter Mariana (but not Hop) to Colombia. Soon after the Colonel died in a plane crash, and Hop was sent to be raised by the cruel farmer Silas Crane. As soon as Hop turned 14, he taught himself to fly the Colonel's old biplane and escaped from Crane's farm. Soon after, he saved the mechanic Tank "Ikky" Tinker and then the two met Prop Wash. Together the three formed an airplane construction company.
When Hop flew Prop Wash's experimental plane to China to rescue refugees, he was greeted upon his return to the United States by a ticker-tape parade. However, the attention brought a court case from Silas Crane, who demanded that Hop and his money be given into Crane's care. Thanks to Ikky, evidence was found that Crane had used forged documents to become Hop's guardian in the first place, and Prop Wash became his new guardian. Hop was an airborne adventurer before the Second World War, assisting the All-Star Squadron. He was briefly active as a costumed mystery man known as the Guardian Angel. He was briefly active as the Black Lamp after the Second World War, but preferred to be himself.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 127 Appearances of Hop Harrigan (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Hop Harrigan (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Hop Harrigan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hop Harrigan (New Earth)