Captain Horatio Strong discovered a strange and unique seaweed in which he calls it "sauncha", and upon consuming it makes him greatly stronger than normal men. Initially, Strong decided to his new found strength to helping people, but the sauncha (which turns out to be of extraterrestrial origin) had the unexpected side effects of making Strong act dangerously irrational and causing severe withdrawal pains. This brought Strong into a fight with Superman before being taken to a hospital. Strong realized his addiction with sauncha and swore himself from using it ever again. Strong later became a friend of Clark Kent and Superman while never realizing that they were the same person.
- Sauncha: Captain Strong derives his powers from eating the seaweed sauncha.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Horatio Strong is purposefully based on the character Popeye, the Sailor Man.
- 6 Appearances of Horatio Strong (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Horatio Strong (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Horatio Strong (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Horatio Strong (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: