"The Wizard of Light": While visiting his cousin, Robby Reed sees a dam break. The escaping water threatens a small farming community so Robby uses his H-Dial to become Giantboy. Giantboy quickly builds a rock wall to stop the oncoming water and save the farmers.
- H-huh? I've become Plastic Man –- that famous crime-fighting hero of years ago! I can stretch and transform into a billion different shapes and things!
- -- Robby Reed
Appearing in "The Wizard of Light"
- Wizard of Light (First appearance)
- King Kandy's Licorice Lariat
- King Kandy's Lollipop Bomb
Synopsis for "The Wizard of Light"
While visiting his cousin, Robby Reed sees a dam break. The escaping water threatens a small farming community so Robby uses his H-Dial to become Giantboy. Giantboy quickly builds a rock wall to stop the oncoming water and save the farmers. Giantboy's attention is then attracted by an explosion from a nearby lab. Giantboy rescues a scientist trapped inside but he falls victim to poison gas. He stumbles into the river where onlookers believe he dies. However, Robby has enough life remaining to use the H-Dial and become his teenage self, who is unharmed by the poison.
The next day at the fair, Robby becomes King Kandy in order to stop the theft of a pearl necklace by a crook calling himself the Wizard of Light. Though the crook gets away, Robby sees him again later. This time Robby is transformed into Plastic Man. As Plas, Robby pursues the Wizard and deduces the crook's identity as Dr. Drago, the scientist he rescued earlier as Giantboy. Robby apprehends Drago, then returns to his cousin's house.
Appearing in "Manhunter's New Secret Identity"
- VULTURE (First appearance)
- Marco Xavier (Dies)
- Señor Mendez
- Apollo Magnus (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Manhunter's New Secret Identity"
A “special security department” alerts J’onn J’onzz to the existence of the criminal organization Vulture, and tells him that international playboy and mystery man Marco Xavier is reputed to have ties to it. When Xavier appears to die in a car wreck shortly afterward, J’onzz assumed Xavier’s identity as a cover with his chameleon powers. He fakes having amnesia from the car crash, and shortly thereafter is contacted by a Vulture agent who gives him $10,000 to learn which ship magnate Apollo Magnus will use to transport a gold shipment. J’onzz trails the man to a secret meeting place where he sees other Vulture agents communicate with Faceless, the blank-masked head of the organization. As Xavier, J’onzz learns that Magnus will be transporting the gold on his private yacht. He gives the information to Vulture, and then, as J’onn J’onzz, thwarts the agents’ attempt to rob it using a submarine.
- This book was first published on May 19, 1966.
- Plastic Man does not actually appear in this issue.
- Robby Reed becomes Giantboy, King Kandy, and Plastic Man in this story.
This is the first appearance of Plastic Man in a DC comic. Robby refers to Plas as a hero from years ago which indicates that Plastic Man existed on Earth-1 at some point prior to this story.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss House of Mystery Vol 1 160 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the House of Mystery series
- Images from House of Mystery Vol 1 160
- Adventure Comics
- Detective Comics
- House of Mystery
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 1)
- Plastic Man (Volume 1)
Links and References
- House of Mystery article at Wikipedia
- Dial "H" for Hero article at Wikipedia
- Martian Manhunter article at Wikipedia
- Martian Manhunter article at Toonopedia
- Martian Manhunter profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Martian Manhunter profile at Monitor Duty
- Martian Manhunter profile at Cosmic Teams
- Martian Manhunter profile at the Oracle Files