"Snipe Hunt": framing sequence
- With a speed I have never known before, I move the fetid bulk that is my body across the span of feet -- and the claw that is my hand closes upon Damian's wrist -- crushing it...
- -- Swamp Thing
Appearing in "Snipe Hunt"
- Abel (Host)
Synopsis for "Snipe Hunt"
Appearing in "Swamp Thing"
- Linda Olsen Ridge
- Damian Ridge
Synopsis for "Swamp Thing"
Sometime in the last century, Alex Olsen and Damien Ridge had been best friends. However, they both vied for the affections of a woman named Linda. Linda eventually married Alex and Damien had to endure his heartache in the form of the supportive friend. But his desire for Linda overrode the bonds of friendship and he conspired to eliminate Alex. He sabotaged the equipment in Alex's lab causing an explosion that killed him. Keeping the knowledge hidden from Linda, Damien buried Alex's body in the swamp.
Damien eventually married the widow Olsen and they lived together in an old Victorian plantation house. But Linda never recovered from Alex's death. As months passed, Damien began to suspect that Linda might soon learn the truth, so he prepared to kill her. But Alex had been resurrected as a swamp thing and broke into the house and killed Damien. Linda fled from the creature in horror, never realizing that the beast who saved her was her beloved Alex.
Appearing in "It's Better to Give"
Synopsis for "It's Better to Give"
A homeless man encounters a crying baby warlock in the town dump who is upset that he has broken his balloon. The homeless man remembers that he's got a dime on him and so he gives it to the kid and tells him to get another balloon. The kid thanks him and tells him that he'll pay him back some day. The homeless man notices dimes start to fall from the nozzle of an abandoned sink and can't believe his good fortune. He gathers them up and goes into town to eat at a fancy restaurant, donate to the Salvation Army and buy new clothes. A criminal observes that the man has run into some money and follows him back to the dump to relieve him of it. The criminal kills the homeless man and the little boy is angry. He causes his new balloon to grow so large that it engulfs the killer, then he approaches the balloon with a large pin.
Appearing in "Trick or Treat"
Synopsis for "Trick or Treat"
A man murders in order to acquire magic paint and canvas which legend states will change your life if you complete a paint-by-numbers portrait. The man completes the portrait and cheerfully waits for his life to change as the ghoul with a knife raised high over its head steps out of the canvas behind him.
- * The cover art is homaged in:
- Swamp Thing #33 (February 1985).
- This issue is reprinted in its entirety in DC Silver Age Classics: House of Secrets #92 and Millennium Edition: House of Secrets #92.
- Swamp Thing is also reprinted in DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #9, Roots of the Swamp Thing #5, Swamp Thing (Volume 2) #33 and Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis.
- Mary Skrenes is credited in this issue as "Virgil North".
- This issue is often credited as the first appearance of Alex Olsen's swampy successor, Alec Holland. In truth, Alec won't make his first actual appearance for another year in Swamp Thing #1. Both versions of the Swamp Thing were created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson.
- The character of the Swamp Thing is inspired by an old Hillman Comics character known as the Heap. The Heap became a recurring supporting character when Eclipse Comics optioned the rights to continue the Airboy series of comics originally published by Hillman in 1945.
- Marvel Comics created their own muck-monster cut from the same cloth as the Swamp Thing. Their character was a scientist named Ted Sallis whose attempts to create a super-soldier serum accidentally transformed him into the Man-Thing.
- While creating the cover for this issue, Bernie Wrightson used Louise Simonson and Mike Kaluta as models for the woman and Swamp Thing, respectively.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss House of Secrets Vol 1 92 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the House of Secrets series
- Images from House of Secrets Vol 1 92
- Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion
- House of Secrets (Volume 1)
- House of Secrets (Volume 2)
- House of Mystery (Volume 1)
- House of Mystery (Volume 2)
- Secrets of Sinister House
- Tales of Ghost Castle
- Witching Hour