Hugo Merson was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1888. He defected to Germany in 1936. From then until mid-1940, he provided the Third Reich with a series of extremely capable mechanized, armored weapons systems, including the War Wheel(s), the Multi-Turret, Mechanical Worm(s), a giant high-speed tunneling machine, and "Der Roboter". He also was a skilled anaplastic surgeon, who permanently altered the faces of several German commando volunteers (the Five Zwilligs), to turn them into Hitler lookalikes, and another (Walter Schoener) into a duplicate of Blackhawk. Merson also developed tiny, potent, packets of explosives, and trained a large number of bats to carry these toward the distinctive noise made by Grumman XF5F Skyrocket engines.
In mid-1940, after being captured by the special Blackhawk unit, Merson was turned over to Winston Churchill, who hired him away to work for the Allies.
- This version of Hugo Merson, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Hugo Merson knows how to fly a Grumman XF5F.
- 8 Appearances of Hugo Merson (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Hugo Merson (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Hugo Merson (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Hugo Merson (Earth-One)