"Tainted Love": Given certain changes in Mary Seward's behaviour, Andrew Bennett feels the need to cut off their relationship. They are vampires, and after having been turned years ago, she is growing tir
Appearing in "Tainted Love"
- Andrew Bennett (Flashback and main story)
- Pandora (Cameo)
Synopsis for "Tainted Love"
Given certain changes in Mary Seward's behaviour, Andrew Bennett feels the need to cut off their relationship. They are vampires, and after having been turned years ago, she is growing tired of leaving humans alone, surviving on cow's blood, as Andrew has for four hundred years.
Mary hopes to spark a revolution among vampires that will eventually bring about the displacement of humans as the dominant species, and place vampires at the top of the evolutionary ladder. Andrew, on the other hand, believes that humans and vampires can co-exist peacefully, knowing that if vampires take threatening actions, the humans will wipe them out. Naturally, Mary wants him to come with her, to change his mind and help lead the fight against humans. Andrew would rather keep a low profile until he can find a cure for vampirism.
The perspective that vampirism is a disease disgusts Mary, and she angrily transforms into the form she feels is most true to her, the Queen of Blood. She accuses him of trying to take away all that she ever was for the last four hundred years. Even so, she still loves him, and they spend the night together.
The next morning, Andrew finds a note on his pillow from Mary, announcing that today she has begun her holy war against humans. She has thousands of soldiers prepared to strike already, and the first blow has been struck on the street right outside his apartment.
Heading out into the street, Andrew finds piles of bodies strewn about, turned to vampires and waiting to awaken. Sadly, he moves through the corpses, killing each new vampire as it comes alive. One female vampire tries to escape, and Andrew transforms into a horrifying beast, grabbing her by the neck. In response, she laughs. Mary's soldiers have all gathered there behind him. They are all full-blood vampires, and they march past him, trampling him underfoot.
Andrew is able to do nothing but watch as the crowd of vampires converges on a packed subway car and kills everyone inside.
- Pandora makes a cameo appearance to witness the events of this storyline, as she does every #1 issue published as part of The New 52. This is directly following her first appearance in the pages of Flashpoint. She can be seen standing by the river while Andrew and Mary are talking about their relationship.
- At the end of the book Andrew quotes two men:
- "All war is deception." - Sun Tzu
- "Take away love and earth is a tomb." - Robert Browning
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss I, Vampire Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the I, Vampire series
- Images from I, Vampire Vol 1 1