|Real Name||Ignatius Ogilvy|
|Current Alias||Emperor Penguin|
|Relatives||Edward "Ed" Ogilvy (father, deceased), Ann Ogilvy (mother, deceased)|
|Affiliation||Secret Society of Super-Villains|
|Base Of Operations||Iceberg Casino, Gotham City|
|Unusual Features||Unique Physiology|
|Creators||John Layman, Jason Fabok|
Years ago, Ignatius Ogilvy's parents had been murdered outside the Monarch Theater, not unlike another wealthy orphan's parents. His father Ed Ogilvy had been a small-time crook some time ago. He had been loyal to his employers, but was murdered in the process of a business negotiation. After his father's death, Ignatius worked his way to becoming one of the Penguin's top lieutenants, and eventually, his right hand man. While his father had never rocked the boat, Ignatius had seen how that worked out for him, and decided to own the boat.
Ignatius Ogilvy was a young boy when he joined the Penguin's gang. He started off as a runner and a watchman. Ogilvy first encountered the Batman during an operation for the Penguin. Batman beat Ogilvy's entire crew and, seeing the boy terrified in the corner, walked over to Ogilvy and threatened him to stay out of trouble. Obviously, the boy did not comply.
Ogilvy stayed with the Penguin, going up in ranks after many operations. During one of those experiences, Ogilvy fought the Batman as a normal henchman. The bad guy took three batarangs to his left arm, leaving a deep scar.
After many more missions, Ogilvy became one of the Penguin's right-hand men. Before long, Ogilvy became Cobblepot's favorite. The Penguin sent Ogilvy on a mission by himself to collect data from a bank with a new recruit. While Ogilvy got the data, the new recruit raided the bank's vault, trying to impress the Penguin. However, Ogilvy was not impressed and killed the man for making such a stupid move. 
When the Joker returned to Gotham City, Cobblepot was recruited by the Joker to help with his plan at Arkham Asylum. Penguin put Ogilvy in charge of his operations in his temporary absence. Ogilvy, however, used the Penguin's absence to take over his gang completely. Ignatius freed Poison Ivy from an almost inescapable death. Ogilvy, now going under the alias of Emperor Penguin, formally takes over Cobblepot's operations.
Taking up Poison Ivy on a debt, Ogilvy used a combination of several drugs, including Venom, Man-Bat Serum, and some of Ivy's plant manipulations in order to make himself develop superhuman strength and durability, in addition to changing his physical appearance. Though he was ultimately taken down by the combined forces of the Penguin and Batman, he managed to shake Cobblepot's power base, put his name in the history books, and, after killing "the Boss" in Blackgate Penitentiary, became the new leader of the crime organizations there as well.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Unique Physiology: Ogilvy's various powers come from a potent combination of the powers of Poison Ivy, Venom, and Man-Bat Serum. This mixture gives him a variety of powers in addition to a bark-like consistency to his skin.
- Deception: Ogilvy managed to deceive Cobblepot enough and became his right-hand man. Ogilvy then used this misplaced trust to commandeer the Penguin's criminal gang.
- Tactical Analysis: Ogilvy has proven that, after enough scuffles with the Batman, he pretty much understands how the Batman decides which crimes are worth going after.
- Penguin's Umbrella: Because Emperor Penguin claims to be the Penguin's successor, he helps himself to Cobblepot's trick umbrellas.
- Detective Comics (Volume 2) #16 (First appearance as Emperor Penguin)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2) #20 (First appearance as Emperor Blackgate)
- Ogilvy has a 3 lined scar on his left arm from one of his first fights with the Batman.
- 16 Appearances of Ignatius Ogilvy (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Ignatius Ogilvy (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ignatius Ogilvy (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ignatius Ogilvy (Prime Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."