Ira West was one of the most brilliant physicists of all time. He earned degrees from the most prestigious universities on the globe. He had even won a Nobel prize. Unfortunately, he was also extremely absent-minded, and has lost track of where he keeps most of those things.
With his wife, Nadine, they had three biological children, Rudy and Charlotte West and a stillborn daughter. A fourth child, Iris, was sent to them from the 30th century by Eric and Fran Russell, a couple trying to save their daughter from a nuclear armageddon. However, he hid the truth of Iris's origins from her. He always considered Iris his favorite child, the one he wanted, but didn't deserve. Her true origin was the one thing that he wanted to forget but couldn't.
With his patent royalties, Ira was able to send Iris around the world after college so she could pursue her career in photojournalism. Eventually, Nadine died and Ira was left alone.
Iris was enraged with him when she did finally learn the truth one day while poking through his office. For weeks she shut him out, but they eventually came to terms with one another.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 40 Appearances of Ira West (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Ira West (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Ira West (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ira West (New Earth)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.