- Race you, Dad!
- -- Impulse src
Iris West and her twin brother, Jai, were born to the third Flash, Wally West, and his wife Linda Park. Although the twins were initially miscarried as the result of an attack by Zoom, Linda's pregnancy was miraculously restored during a later battle.
When Wally went into the Speed Force during a battle with Superboy-Prime, he brought Linda and the infant twins with them. After spending some time on an Earth-like world inhabited by an alternate version of Jay Garrick, they traveled to another planet occupied by technologically advanced aliens who had had dealings with a Flash in the past.
When they were first born, Iris and her brother exhibited no signs of having inherited their father's powers. However, after turning three months old, their metabolisms sped up and they began to age rapidly and exhibit powers. Their alien hosts taught Linda the basics of operating machinery to stabilize the growing twins' powers.
The West family was suddenly brought back to Earth during an adventure involving the Justice League, Justice Society, and Legion of Super-Heroes. They moved back to Keystone City, and Linda set up the alien devices in their basement. Afraid that the twins could age to their own deaths sooner rather than later, Wally began training them how to use their powers as heroes, hoping to let them live their lives to the fullest.
While aiding their father battle Spin and Gorilla Grodd, Iris and Jai were captured by Brother Drive and Brother Think, two members of the Dark Side Club who claimed that the twins were Forever People with great potential. Immediately after capture, Iris began to experience another rapid growth spurt, aging her to late adolescence. This gave her full superspeed like her father, which she used to free herself and Jai.After helping their father defeat Grodd, she had yet another spurt, aging into adulthood. She continued aging rapidly, becoming an elderly woman. Wally sought the help of Nzame, an infant gorilla with healing abilities, to try and halt the process. However, this plan backfired, as Iris seemingly withered away and died before her family's own eyes. However, this turned out to be simply a hallucination created by Grodd. Though alive, Iris was still quite old.
The twins' rapid aging was cured when Wally discovered that their genetics were not the cause, but rather the death aspect of the Speed Force. He brought them both into the Force. While there, Wally drew the blackness out of her, turning her back into a girl.
More than Jai, Iris is a living conduit for the Speed Force, with absolute mastery over it almost rivaling the one briefly gained by her father during the Dark Flash Saga. Mind-controlled by Queen Bee, she exhibited the power of forming "cocoons" of Speed Forces, bubbles in which she could control speed and time, freezing her targets or hastening their metabolism to death. Moreover, she repaired the weakening connection to the Speed Force crippling her father. Badly traumatized by her ordeal, she refuses to give in her powers again.
Her resolution wanes with the return of the first Reverse Flash, Professor Zoom, during the The Flash: Rebirth event. Since Jai and Iris' connection is still precarious, the attempts of Zoom to disrupt the Speed Force force both kids to endure a large amount of crippling pain, until Iris decides to take the bulk of the Speed Power connection, freeing Jai but taking the pain for herself. At the last moment Jesse Chambers, guided by the late Johnny Quick, uses the Speed Mantra to save Iris' life, once again in her full potential.
Iris embraces her new role with childlike glee, choosing to take up the mantle of Impulse, which Bart used before he joined the Teen Titans as Kid Flash.
- Speed Force Conduit: People who, for whatever reason, are connected to the Speed Force are sometimes called Speed Force Conduits. This means that they are connected to the Speed Force and are tethered to it.
- Accelerated Healing: The Speed Force connection allows the speedster's body recover from injury much faster than normal.
- Increased Perceptions: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive the world at a rate attuned how fast they can react.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force also manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such a friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: While not unlimited, the connection to the Speed Force does bolster the speedsters stamina well beyond the limits of a normal human.
- Superhuman Speed: The main effect of the connection is to allow a speedster to move at vast superhuman speeds. This also confers:
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- 44 Appearances of Iris West II (New Earth)
- 30 Images featuring Iris West II (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Iris West II (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Iris West II (New Earth)
- Impulse at dccomics.com
- Kid Flash (Iris West) at Wikipedia.org
- Iris West II (New Earth) at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #199
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #225
- ↑ Infinite Crisis #4
- ↑ The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #6
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Flash (Volume 2) #231
- ↑ Justice League of America (Volume 2) #10
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #233
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #240
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #241
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #242
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #243
- ↑ Being a speed force conduit conveys some core powers as demonstrated by Barry Allen and Wally West.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Flash (Volume 2) #1
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #76
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #63
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #74
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.