Ambush Bug's true name was supposedly Irwin Schwab, but it must be noted that he suffered from mental problems that prevented him from truly understanding reality around him, so even his true identity might be no more than a delusion on his part. His origin is disputed, although the most commonly accepted origin is that Brum-El of the planet Schwab sent his clothes from his supposedly doomed planet, hoping that his wardrobe would survive, only to have it intercepted by a giant radioactive space spider. In the resulting crash, only two articles of clothing survived: the Ambush Bug suit, which was subsequently found by Irwin Schwab, and Argh!Yle!, an argyle sock with a metal mask.
At first, Ambush Bug was a villain, named after a type of insect, and dressed in a green, skintight suit (with two orange antennae) that covered his whole body. Inside his hollow antennae, he carried miniature robot bugs that possessed the ability to teleport him around. After attacking Superman and other heroes (and being little more than an annoyance to them) Ambush Bug decided instead to be a superhero as well. He also fancied himself Superman's friend, which only annoyed the hero even more. The costume apparently then became permanently affixed to his body, and he gained the power to teleport by himself. (Again, it's unknown if this was true or just another delusion of his, as he was later seen removing the costume.)
At one point, he picked up a doll and, thinking it was alive, 'adopted' it as a partner called Cheeks, The Toy Wonder, complete with its own costume.
He became something of a joke to other heroes.
In the limited series Son of Ambush Bug, an out-of-favor with the editors Schwab was forced to make due with no funding. A long, convoluted chain of events involving Argh!Yle!, repeatedly dying, and avoiding being retconned by a cosmic interloper later, he left the DC Universe "forever", leaving behind his suit. For the first time Ambush Bug's face was seen - an unfinished outline, with two lines across eye level. Given the Bug's return to the DCU recently, it is likely that either he made up with the editorial staff, or that the entire series is non-canon.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Teleportation: Ambush Bug can teleport over very long distances, as well as being able to take others along for the ride.
- Dumb Luck: Sometimes the Bug just gets very lucky for no good reason.
- Cosmic Awareness: Ambush Bug is aware of the Fourth Wall.
Green suit provides invulnerability and teleportation.
- Ambush Bug spent some time in Arkham Asylum, but was released primarily because they couldn't deal with him anymore. At the time, they had been close to curing the Joker's extreme paranoia, until Ambush Bug recognized him and attempted to arrest him seventeen times. He attempted suicide by hanging himself in his cell... by the heels. He also convinced a number of the attendants that they were crazy, and pursued legal action demanding more electric shock therapy.
- Ambush Bug has died and gone to Hell multiple times (occasionally multiple times within the span of a single issue). He always returned to earth via a back exit that leads to the Metropolis Subway.
- Ambush Bug is an avid comics reader, however he just reads the captions and balloons and skips over the pictures.
- Ambush Bug
- 55 Appearances of Irwin Schwab (New Earth)
- 43 Images featuring Irwin Schwab (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Irwin Schwab (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Irwin Schwab (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Doom Patrol member