Izaya, at this point known as Izaya the Inheritor, was a warrior of New Genesis, husband of Avia, and father of the boy who would become Scott Free. He and his wife were ambushed by Steppenwolf, his nephew Darkseid, and the warriors of Apokolips, during which attack, Avia was slain. He was found injured by a young woman named Vayla who nursed him back to health, fell in love, and eventually married him before bearing a child by Izaya. Izaya led an attack on Apokolips, during which he slew Steppenwolf (though Steppenwolf would later return). Revenge, however, brought no solace to Izaya, and he soon after went on a sojourn into the wilderness of New Genesis, seeking enlightenment.
It was at this time that Izaya first encountered the Source, and, taking the name Highfather, he returned to the gods of Supertown to bring them the Source's wisdom. After years of war, the two worlds struck a peace accord, which involved the exchange of the two heirs of these worlds. Highfather engineered the Pact with Darkseid, by which Izaya's child was sent to the orphanages of Granny Goodness on Apokolips, while Darkseid's son Orion was sent to live on New Genesis as Highfather's adopted son. (It was later revealed that Highfather's true motive in this agreement was to simultaneously redeem Orion, while refining Scott's spirit through his testing on Apokolips.)
However, in this trade, Highfather would prove to be the winner; while his true son would live amongst the denizens of Apokolips and learn to rebel against the system, he would tame Orion's brutal being and persuade him to serve New Genesis. Both these machinations proved to be successful: Scott Free escaped Apokolips to eventually reunite with Highfather and New Genesis, and Orion became a loyal follower and step-son, to Highfather, battling Darkseid and his agents for years to come.
To this day, Highfather continues to lead the gods of New Genesis, and hopes to one day pass down leadership to his son. Relationships between father and son are strained however, due both to the results of the Pact, and Scott Free's general rejection of the ways of the gods in favor of that of the humans of Earth.
Recently, upon learning of Darkseid's plans to destroy the Source Wall and control the Source itself, he gathered other elder gods, including Zeus, Jove, Odin and Ares together to fight Darkseid. However, this plan quickly fell apart, as Ares rebelled against the other gods, and in the end killed Highfather. While Ares was later imprisoned on the new Source Wall (he later still escaped and has resumed his role of god of war on Earth), Highfather remained deceased...until very recently.
After Izaya's death, Takion assumed the role of Highfather (after Scott Free turned down the offer); this role would prove to be challenging for the young god. He asked for some sort of help from Highfather, who was now one with the Source, and he got it: Highfather briefly returned to resurrect Supertown to its former glory, giving the forces of New Genesis a new hope in the come battles against Darkseid and his armies.
- New Gods Physiology: These New Gods have evolved due to their close proximity to the Source, a primeaval energy, believed to be one of the ultimate foundations of the Universal Expression of Energy, along with their superior technology, into beings of genetic stability and evolutionary perfection. The denizens of New Genesis are stronger, faster, and smarter than homo sapiens, despite their resemblance to the same.
- Immortality: Like few other of the New Gods, Highfather Izaya is functionally immortal, having ceased aging physically near the age of 50. Unless he falls in battle, Highfather Izaya is immune to the ravages of time, and could easily live for thousands upon thousands of years.
- Invulnerability: He is resistant to blunt trauma like punches, kicks, and blows from weapons like bats and maces, though not completely immune; unless the blows a dealt by a being with similar or greater strength than Highfather, there just isn't a chance of injury. However, his invulnerability does not extend to bullets, laser-blasts, or other piercing/slicing weapons - his invulnerability is more akin to that of an Amazon, rather than a Kryptonian.
- Superhuman Strength: While Highfather Izaya's strength as a New God is naturally greater than that of a human man of his (approximate) build and stature who engages in regular intensive exercise.
- Superhuman Stamina: Highfather Izaya's stamina and endurance is nothing short of amazing. Highfather Izaya is able to manage his stamina on a certain amount of rest and sustenance (more than minimal) so that it seems he is able to constantly function, though this is not entirely the case. Tied directly to his strength and invulnerability, even his immunity to a certain extent, Highfather Izaya can actually function at peak efficiency for almost 48 hours before needing to eat and rest off the stress.
- Source Avatar: Izaya has the ability to commune with the Source and gain an understanding of it's wisdom and motivations. He is a living conduit of the source of guidance to the New gods of New Genesis.
- Vulnerability to Radion: New Gods are vulnerable to a substance called Radion. It source is unknown and its effects are toxic only in sustained amounts or after explosive exposure. The average New God can be slain by an application of Radion from a Radion blaster or bomb. Radion, must be hard to come by, because if it was not, Darkseid would obviously equip more of his troops with it. Perhaps it requires the mysterious Element X to create it.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Izaya is also known as Izaya the Inheritor.
- 147 Appearances of Izaya (New Earth)
- 20 Images featuring Izaya (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Izaya (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Izaya (New Earth)
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.