Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
J'onn J'onzz is the Martian Manhunter, one of the last survivors of the planet Mars who came to Earth in search of justice and peace.
Life on Mars
Roughly one million years ago, Mars was a living world, populated by a race of humanoids divided by skin color. However, one day the populace received a psychic warning, which the government perceived as a threat and recruited several of its people, including a young J'onn J'onzz to investigate. While on their mission, the government agent Ma'alefa'ak unveiled a double-cross, killing all of the subjects except J'onzz and then used their blood for a magic ritual that super-empowered J'onn - permanently, against his will.
Huting Ma'alefa'ak, J'onn discovered a monster - the cause of the psychic warning that had sent him on the mission in the first place. Taking the shape of J'onn J'onzz's son, the monster explained that it was the embodiment of the dying Martian biosphere, trying to warn the populace to help it. However, the embodiment decreed that they were unworthy, and Mars and the Martians died, throwing J'onn to Earth, where he lost himself in an infinity of identities before finally, one million years later, he attempted to become a hero once again.
Soon after the formation of the Justice League, J'onn tried to join the team, under the hero identity of Martian Manhunter. Having forgotten his past, he could not give them answers about himself, which led to his brief tenure with the group ending in distrust and a fist-fight.
J'onn, not left cynical from his expulsion from the Justice League, became a member of a group called Stormwatch, who protected Earth from super-powered threats in a more "professional" (rough but functionally covert) way.
With Stormwatch, the Martian Mahunter helped fend off a war with creatures of the Moon.  However, finding he was not at place with Stormwatch, J'onzz attempted to leave the group but realized that they would perceive his departure as a threat to the secrecy of the group. Therefore, to prevent them stopping him, J'onn wiped their memories of his membership entirely and vanished, searching for a place where he belonged. 
Martian Manhunter was later contacted by Amanda Waller to join her government-funded 'Justice League of America', which, unknown to the members, was constructed to combat the real Justice League if the heroes were to go rogue. J'onn was chosen as a foil for Superman. 
He was imprisoned during the Crime Syndicate attack, but used his powers to free Stargirl, enabling her to help save the day. Afterwards, they founded Justice League United, a non-national superteam which could bring superheroes together.
Justice League United
While investigating a disappeared lunar astronaut, J'onn was attacked by foes who sparked his buried memories of his origin. Running back to Earth, he fought against an inexplicable wave of terror-bombings, dying as a result. However, his remains were gathered by a disparate group, who were compelled to bring the remains to a holy site in Ghana.
Teleported to a paradoxical Mars, the group discovered that they were various aspects of J'onn's psyche, split off and given bodies, and that any or all of them could become the next Martian Manhunter. However, they also discovered they were being hunted by Ma'alefa'ak, the mastermind of the scheme, who wanted to use them as magical fuel to save Mars under his rule.
After much conflict with Ma'alefa'ak, the group (including J'onn himself) was able to return the martians back to the past, save the human refugees stranded on Mars, and join together once again to form J'onn J'onzz as a whole.
He goes to Thanagar to get more Nth Metal and rescues Hal and Mister Terrific from prison.
- Martian Physiology
- Extrasensory Input
- Martian Vision
- Malleable Form
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Endurance
- Superhuman Strength
- Manhunter Augmentation As a living weapon of the martian race, J'onn J'onzz grew into a few powers others of his species did not. Such as the ability to arsenalize his metamorphic biomass in more creative and unconventional ways.
- Organic Construct Creation: J'onn showcased the ability to metamorphos advanced bio-organic weaponry from his own body at will, all of which is powered by his psychokinetic energies as both an energy source and munition's generator.
- Biological Wears Fabrication: The Martian Manhunter is capable of divesting pieces of his own biomass as perishable armaments, equipment or protective wear which he can use or share with others.
- Bio-Fusion: J'onn's shapeshifting abilities are so pronounced he could fuse himself into whatever substance he wished too. Turning a mechanical martian city sized battle suit into a new body with which he could pilot and operate.
- Bio-Fission: He could even replicate himself to an almost indefinite degree, creating thousands if not millions of multi-colored cast off's of himself by force of will. J'onn can just as simply re-absorb his duplicates back into himself if needed.
- Aspect Expulsion: Whenever J'onn replicates he often pushes parts of his psyche out into the world as well, with many of his duplicates embodying a portion of his own core personality.
- Adaptation: What truly sets a Manhunter class Martian's metamorphosis apart from other Martian's is the spontaneous adjustment of their Sub-molecular physiology on the fly. Be it with or without conscious thought in order to overcome most any kind of threat.
- Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz) was created by Joseph Samachson and Joe Certa, first appearing in Detective Comics #225. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz) first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Stormwatch (Volume 3) #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda.
- Appearances of J'onn J'onzz (Prime Earth)
- Images featuring J'onn J'onzz (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about J'onn J'onzz (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: J'onn J'onzz (Prime Earth)
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #10
- ↑ Justice League (Volume 2) #8
- ↑ Stormwatch (Volume 3) #3
- ↑ Stormwatch (Volume 3) #12
- ↑ Justice League of America (Volume 3) #1
- ↑ Martian Manhunter Vol 4 2
- ↑ Martian Manhunter Vol 4 6
- ↑ Martian Manhunter Vol 4 8
- ↑ Martian Manhunter Vol 4 12
- ↑ Dark Nights: Metal #5
- ↑ The powers and weaknesses listed are based on the common abilities of Martians first demonstrated by J'onn J'onzz. The refrences listed are based on J'onzz as depected in the Earth-One and New Earth continuities.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 12.6 12.7 12.8 12.9 Detective Comics #225
- ↑ Martian Manhunter #4
- ↑ Detective Comics #226
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #8
- ↑ JLA #89
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #10
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #3
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #4
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #9
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #12
- ↑ Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #5
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Justice League of America (Volume 3) #3
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.