- I'm Mars' sole survivor... there's a reason for that.
- -- J'onn J'onzz src
The last Green Martian. J'onn J'onzz had never been a violent man, but found himself drawn into what came known as "The Martian Holocaust", a war between the Green Martians and the White Martians. The war resulted in the death of his wife and daughter, along with both Martian races being entirely wiped out. J'onn J'onzz seemed to be the sole survivor of Mars.
Some time later, J'onn encountered and befriended Jor-El. Through Jor-El, J'onn found purpose again. Working for Jor-El, J'onn brought criminals (both Kryptonian and criminals from other worlds) to justice, who were then banished to the Phantom Zone. When Krypton was facing destruction, Jor-El asked J'onn to watch over his son, whom he planned to send to Earth. However, Jor-El had arranged for the boy to be put before tests. Tests that Jor-El wanted him to pass on his own. So, J'onn was forbidden to interfere, unless it proved absolutely necessary. Because of this, J'onn kept an eye on Clark from a distance, rather than interacting with him directly.
After Clark accidently released several prisoners from the Phantom Zone, J'onn quickly found that he had no choice and had to interfere. The first time occured in Seattle, when Clark attempted to bring down Aldar, only to be nearly be killed by him. Just before Aldar was going to kill Clark, J'onn rushed in and killed Aldar. Before Clark could ask him any questions, J'onn flew away. The second time, that J'onn had to step in, was when another escapee from the Phantom Zone infected Clark's mind and trapped him in a nightmarish reality, in an attempt to get control of Clark's body. J'onn entered Clark's mind and was able to convince him of the truth. When the phantom was expelled from Clark's body, J'onn used a crystal to return it to the Phantom Zone.
- Martian Physiology
- Superhuman Strength: Martian Manhunter has displayed strength similar to the level of Kryptonians."
- Flight: Martian Manhunter is well-practiced in using his abilities and has flown on the show various times. He is able to fly at speeds exceeding Earth's escape velocity (7 miles per second), as he flew to Mars and back in a matter of moments.
- Superhuman Speed: Martian Manhunter has rarely used his super speed. He instead uses his ability to fly as his primary source of traveling. However he quickly dissapears from Clark's barn more than once.
- Heat Vision: Martian Manhunter used this when he first made himself known to Clark by saving him from Aldar.
- Invulnerability: Martian Manhunter has been shown to possess invulnerability on some level but does not possess it as strong as native Kryptonians.
- Healing Factor: Martian Manhunter has the ability to heal himself from any wound, but has to leave Earth's atmosphere to do so, otherwise it does not work.
- Telepathy: Allows Martian Manhunter to communicate with other living beings mentally. He used this ability to save Clark from a phantom that took over his mind.
- Shapeshifting: Martian Manhunter has the ability to take on the appearance of others. He used this ability to briefly impersonate Amanda Waller.
- Superhuman Stamina
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Smallville and its tie-in and comic book series, Smallville and Smallville Season 11. It is an adaptation of J'onn J'onzz. The original character was created by Joseph Samachson and Joe Certa and first appeared in Detective Comics #225.
- The Martian Manhunter was portrayed by Phil Morris. In "Checkmate" he was briefly portrayed by Pam Grier, posing as Amanda Waller.
- Although John does not appear, he is first called the "Martian Manhunter" in "Crimson" by Chloe Sullivan, in reference to the events of the previous episode, "Labyrinth".
- The multimedia Smallville parallel story, Justice and Doom, insinuates that John has been in contact with Doctor Virgil Swann since before 1987.
- The Martian Manhunter banished Zor-El and his family from the House of El for an attempt to kill Jor-El.
- Appearances of J'onn J'onzz (Smallville)
- Images featuring J'onn J'onzz (Smallville)
- Quotations by or about J'onn J'onzz (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: J'onn J'onzz (Smallville)
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.