In many ways, Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and Batman. He is a detective, cunning and logical, but he is also one of the last of his race, capable of many of the same superhuman talents as the Man of Steel.
Science and science fiction have always speculated upon the notion that there was life on Mars. One scientist, Dr. Saul Erdel, attempt through experimental communication technology to contact the red planet. What returned through the beacon he transmitted was not just a message from Mars; it was a Martian, and not the sort fictionalized by H.G. Wells. This being was humanoid, at least to a degree, for his shape was random. He was a shape-shifter.
Erdel learned that Mars was dead, burned, lost in time. This Martian was named J'onn J'onzz. He had no desire to invade earth, but instead took to this world, joining its people and the Justice League to make certain that the end that befell Mars would never threaten Earth.
The Martian Manhunter's fear of fire suggest hypersensitivity, but this is too simple an explanation. His weaknesses would be too common to this world as well as Mars. Perhaps this is because his mass changes depending upon the form he adopts. 
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the following power set:
- Extrasensory Input: Nine different senses.
- Martian Vision: Eyesight which extends the visible spectrum, visual acuity, and allows sight through most objects and barriers. Martian Vision is also similar to Kryptonian heat vision in that it can cause combustible objects to explode.
- Flight: The ability defy gravity and fly through sheer force of will. This ability is psionic in nature, and functions similarly to tactile telekinesis.
- Invulnerability: With the exception of fire, they are invulnerable to nearly all physical attacks. This is due primarily to their shape-shifting talents and the ability to increase the density of their molecular structure.
- Malleable Form: Psionic control over their physical form, even down to the molecular level. As a form of shape-shifting, this power enables to contort their physical structure to adopt human form, elongate limbs, grow to immense size, and so on. They can also change the substance and material from which their body is made of. This allows them to produce weapons and clothing of any type. They can maintain the selected form for an indeterminate amount of time without undue risk or strain. This ability allows for the folowing powers:
- Intangibility: The ability to decrease their molecular density to become incorporeal and thus able to pass through solid objects, as well as increase it to become tougher and stronger.
- Invisibility: The ability to bend light waves around their bodies, rendering them invisible to most forms of human detection. Through this byproduct of shape-shifting, they can also alter their body's temperature, allowing them to become invisible to most forms of electronic detection.
- Size Alteration
- Regeneration: The ability to rapidly heal wound, from minor cuts to regrowing lost limbs. This include the regrowth of major body parts such as the head, heart, or similar primary organs.
- Self-Sustenance: Negating the need to consume food or drink. This also eliminates the need to produce waste.
- Superhuman Speed: Either through flight or natural movement, they can maintain the speed and reflexes far in excess to that of a standard Earth human.
This also allows:
- Superhuman Endurance: Their endurance is just as formidable as their strength or invulnerability. When not in the presence of fire, they can operate under extreme conditions for an indeterminate period of time without showing signs of fatigue. The exact range of this power is unknown. When in the presence of fire, this endurance diminishes greatly.
- Superhuman Strength: possesses a strength comparable to that of a Kryptonian under a yellow sun.
- Telepathy: The ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. A Martian's expertise with telepathy varies from Martian to Martian. Some Martians, such as J'onn J'onzz, can use their ability with such precision that they can extract repressed memories from a subject regardless of how dormant the memory may lie.
- Mind Control: As an extension of their telepathic powers, they can also use the ability to alter a subject's psychological profile, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control their chosen target. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used.
- Investigation: Rivaling Batman, John Jones may yet been his world's greatest detective. Being connected to all other Martians makes hiding a secret a difficult task, John is trained to see the unseen and can detect a lie in more ways than just hearing your heartbeat. 
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the following weaknesses:
- Vulnerability to Fire: Martians are much more vulnerable to fire than the average Earth human. At times this has been portrayed as physical, psychological, or a combination of the two. The effect of this is to strip any Martian of their powers as they involuntarily lose control of their body.
- Appearances of J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Images featuring J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Quotations by or about J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Character Gallery: J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: