"Nightfall (Part I of II)": In Portsmouth City, a man named Tony holds his wife and daughter hostage inside his house. Police surround the building, but are unwilling to risk entering less Tony harms his family. Doctor Mid-Nite enters the house and distracts Tony with a Blackout Bomb. He knocks
- You really should consider limiting your blood intake. You could suffer an iron overdose or even develop toxic porphyria.
Appearing in "Nightfall (Part I of II)"
- Mircea (First appearance)
- Lemon Hastings
Synopsis for "Nightfall (Part I of II)"
In Portsmouth City, a man named Tony holds his wife and daughter hostage inside his house. Police surround the building, but are unwilling to risk entering less Tony harms his family. Doctor Mid-Nite enters the house and distracts Tony with a Blackout Bomb. He knocks him out with a nerve pinch and brings the family outside.
Once the scene is secure, Mid-Nite consults with two detectives named Mills and Parker. Both men thought that the resident Justice Society member returned to Portsmouth to investigate the recent rash of vampire slayings. This piques Mid-Nite's curiosity, and he begins looking into it. He meets with one of his street contacts, Lemon Hastings, who tells him of a trendy "clubhouse" where vampires are known to congregate. Mid-Nite does not believe that a true vampire is responsible for the murders, and suspects that the perpetrator may in fact be a serial killer whom believes himself a vampire.
Late into the evening, Doctor Mid-Nite finds a nightclub that caters to vampire enthusiasts. Scanning the crowd, he picks up something with his infrared goggles. Seeing a mysterious figure abducing a woman, Mid-Nite swings overtop the throng of people and exits the back of the building. Standing in the alleyway is a vampire named Mircea – the blood of his most recent victim still dripping from his fangs. Mircea leaps at Doctor Mid-Nite and sinks his fangs deep into his neck.
- This is the second two-part Doctor Mid-Nite vignette featured in this series. The first storyline was called "Skin Trade" and took place in JSA Classified #19-20.
- The placement of this story within the chronology of the DC Universe is uncertain. Doctor Mid-Nite cites that has taken "a few days off" from the JSA, but events taking place concurrently in the Justice Society of America title are keeping him pretty busy.
- Oddly, Doctor Mid-Nite shows difficulty believing in the existence of vampires. Considering the company that he keeps, it seems highly improbable that even someone as logic-driven as Doctor Mid-Nite would dismiss the existence of supernatural entities.
- Mircea is named for Mircea cel Bătrân, a 15th century voivode of Wallachia and father to Vlad Ţepeş Drăculea, the historical Count Dracula.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss JSA Classified Vol 1 23 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the JSA Classified series
- Images from JSA Classified Vol 1 23
Links and References
- JSA Classified series index at the Grand Comics Database
- JSA Classified series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Justice Society of America article at Wikipedia
- Doctor Mid-Nite article at Wikipedia
- Doctor Mid-Nite profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe