Jackson Hammersmith was a warehouse worker at Metropolis Electronics who was dissatisfied with his life and wanted to get rich the easy way. Procuring or stealing the key components he needed, Hammersmith constructed a battle armor suit using piston-powered power punch hammers mounted in his forearms. Dubbing himself "Jackhammer", Hammersmith decided that to become Number One in Metropolis' Underworld, he should beat Superman, who was at that time being severely weakened (owing to the magic of Lord Satanis and his wife Syrene), a fact which had become public knowledge due to the Mole.
In order to lure Superman to him, Jackhammer issued a public challenge and in the following night destroyed the support for a public train line. Upon meeting his challenger, Superman ended up badly beaten by just one punch from Jackhammer's weapons, but just barely managed to avert the train's crash before losing consciousness. Emboldened by his success, Jackhammer gathered a gang of thugs and started a crime spree throughout the city, with neither Superman nor the police being able to stop him. However, despite his diminished potential, Superman eventually regained his confidence, and he intercepted Jackhammer's gang as they prepared to rob a movie theater audience. Superman courageously engaged Jackhammer in combat, but was being beaten down. Enraged by the beating their brave rescuer was taking, the movie audience attacked Jackhammer with thrown debris, diverting his attention long enough for Superman to regather his strength and execute one decisive strike against Jackhammer's sole unarmed spot - his helmet's chin portion. After thanking his supporters for their aid, Superman carted the unconscious Jackhammer off to the police.
- Battlesuit: Jackhammer's powers were derived solely from the steel battlesuit of his own construction. The suit's steel shell was hard enough to resist the impact of .38 caliber revolver rounds. Its main weaponry consisted of two forearm-launched "Power Punch" Hammers, which were strong enough to smash brick and concrete with one blow. While being able to knock out Superman when he had his poweres leeched away, the hammers would likely have had no such effect on him if Superman had been at full strength.
- This version of Jackhammer, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Jackson Hammersmith (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Jackson Hammersmith (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Jackson Hammersmith (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Jackson Hammersmith (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."