James “Jim” Barr is the son of a police officer who was murdered in the line of duty. Jim decided to avenge his father by devoting his life to crime fighting. At first Jim tried to join the police but was rejected from the police Academy. This purely down to physical reasons, so he applied for a job in ballistics. Jim used his knowledge of chemistry to develop a drug that would increase his muscle mass and brain power using his 'crime cure'. His formula was shown to make him strong enough to smash a tank.
He also invented a Gravity Regulator Helmet which was bullet shaped and gave him his name, which allowed him to fly and deflect bullets. His first case involved capturing a well known gangster, during which Bulletman crashed into his hideout to arrest him.
After a successful time as a hero Bulletman decided to create a second Gravity Regulator Helmet for his girlfriend Susan Kent, daughter of policeman Sgt. Kent, who took the name of Bulletgirl.
Bulletman and Bulletgirl occasionally teamed-up with other empowered heroes such as Captain Marvel and his sister Mary Marvel. Bulletman and Bulletgirl later became members of Shazam's Squadron of Justice and fought up against menaces such as the savage King Kull. After many years crimefighting the duo married and remained active until the events of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Almost all of Bulletman's powers stemmed from his Gravity Regulator Helmet, including:
- Flight Bulletman could fly, at supersonic speeds, and make mid-air course changes. He could carry extremely large and heavy objects, such as a ripped-out bank vault, for long distances at high speeds.
- Bulletproof The helmet creates an invisible electromagnetic field, which prevents approaching objects from striking Bulletman while in flight.
- Enhanced Vision Bulletman has telescopic vision.
- Enhanced Hearing Bulletman has super-keen hearing.
- He invented a new Truth Serum.
- Forensic Pathology
- He invented his own flying equipment, the Gravity Regulator Helmet.
- Superhuman Strength Physically empowered by a super drug of his own invention, Bulletman can smash open a military tank with his bare hands.
- Enough poison gas to kill ten men will knock Bulletman unconscious.
- Submersion in water makes Bulletman's gravity regulator helmet useless, but only until it dries out.
- Gravity Regulator Helmet: Bulletman wore a cone-shaped anti-gravity helmet which provided him with the powers described above.
- This version of Bulletman, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse saving all the alternate realities though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Bulletman and Bulletgirl were Fawcett Comics' second most popular characters after Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family.
- Bulletman was created by writer Bill Parker and artist John Smalle for Fawcett Publications. In 1953, National Periodical Publications settled a long-running lawsuit against Fawcett citing that the character of Captain Marvel bore too much of a resemblance to their own character, Superman. After settling the case (by agreeing to no longer publish Captain Marvel), Fawcett discontinued publication of their entire comic book line and Bulletman lapsed into obscurity. In 1972, DC Comics licensed many of the Fawcett characters, including Bulletman, and established that they existed on the fictional parallel world known as Earth-S. The Fawcett characters made several appearances throughout various Silver Age DC titles including Shazam, World's Finest Comics and Justice League of America. In 1991, DC bought the Fawcett characters (including Bulletman) outright.
- 138 Appearances of James Barr (Earth-S)
- 14 Images featuring James Barr (Earth-S)
- 8 Quotations by or about James Barr (Earth-S)
- Character Gallery: James Barr (Earth-S)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: