Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- I served in two vicious, bloody wars -- Then made billions in military contracts with Lockhart Navionics. It took until I was an old man to seen things straight, But I've seen enough death. This is how I try to fix it.
- -- Jim Lockhart src
James "Jim" Lockhart was a gifted engineer and U.S. Navy man who built an amazing one-man submarine he called the Red Torpedo. He used his sub to combat lawlessness at sea and fight against the Nazis and Japanese forces during WWII. Eventually, he became known as the Red Torpedo himself.
World War II
Red Torpedo joined Uncle Sam as one of the first members of the Freedom Fighters. Their mission was to stop the Japanese en route to Pearl Harbor. They nearly succeeded, but a surprise attack left Jim dead in the water, or so it seemed  Somehow, Jim survived and was known to aid other heroes such as the Justice Society of America.
Post World War II
After his survival during World War II, Jim retired the name Red Torpedo. He started a company, Lockhart Navionics, that designed seafaring craft. Lockhart Navionics made Lockhart billions of dollars, through military contracts.
He was involved in creating a new Starman in 1951. When Ted Knight was unable to continue his mission in Opal City, Lockhart helped Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider) to build the Star Flyer. Lockhart designed a star-shaped aircraft that McNider, used to combat crime. The Star Flyer later passed hands to a time-travelling David Knight, who took over as Starman. 
Jim and his company later created Windward Home, a mobile seafaring city that he ran with Elsa Magnusson. The home was created as a mobile think tank, which brought together scientists and scholars from across the globe into an environment free from life’s daily trials. Since Windward Home operates in international waters, the inhabitants are subject to no one nation’s laws. The scientists come from the various hidden races of Earth, including at least one inhabitant of Feithera. Their research covers all topics, from technology to magic.
The Sea Devils joined Jim and his think tank to help in their research. When the Spectre estroyed Atlantis, the Atlanteans came to the home for refuge including the ghost Atalntis greatest scientist Dr. Vulko. A.J. Curry and King Shark joined as well to help search for Aquaman, and his protection of the scattered Atlantean people. During this time, Jim and his team became the first surface dwellers to visit the underwater nation of Naos. 
- Red Torpedo (Submarine): His one-man sub, boasts many impressive features: it is concussion proof, it can snare things with its spear-tip, release a cloud of ink into the water, and also grind through thick masses of polar ice.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- In the pre-Crisis timeline, Red Torpedo died helping Uncle Sam fight the Japanese on Earth-X (as shown in All-Star Squadron #32). In the post-Crisis reality, that battle did not happen. It was replaced by the pre-Pearl Harbor battle shown in Secret Origins (Volume 2) #26, which he did survive (barely).
- 11 Appearances of James Lockhart (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring James Lockhart (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about James Lockhart (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: James Lockhart (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.