Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Gone! Gone! -- the form of man -- Rise, the Demon Etrigan!
- -- Jason Blood src
Jason Blood is a world leading expert on the occult and demonology. He has walked the Earth since the 6th Century, after the wizard Merlin bound the increasingly uncontrollable threat of Etrigan The Demon to his mortal soul.
His origins have been ambiguous - even to himself - after centuries of Etrigan's tampering with his mind. In some accounts he was a knight in King Arthur's court in the 6th Century. In another he was a high priest in the Cult of Gaia who practiced human sacrifice. It wasn't until Blood forced Merlin to unlock his real memories long forgotten that he learned the horrific truth. Jason was a simple peasant with a wife and two children until the fateful night he was chosen by Merlin to bind Etrigan for eternity. The strain of two minds and souls instantaneously forced together manifested in temporary insanity. Jason woke the next day covered in the blood of his murdered family. Discovered by his brother-in-law, an angry mob soon swarmed him. The imminent threat of death awakened the demon inside for the first time, and the ensuing massacre earned him the name Jason-of-the-Blood.
The Forgotten Past
An insane or uncooperative mind was no use to Etrigan, so he tweaked the will of his new host, making him malleable to his malevolent will. For over a millennium they lived a symbiotic relationship, the demon's need for war and chaos amassed riches and power for his mortal counterpart. They fought in the Crusades, led Viking raids, betrayed every king in Europe and damned countless souls to the Inferno. In 1656, the two were requested to meet Lord Lucifer himself. A bargain was struck to claim the overdue soul of the mad pirate William Scumm. In return, Blood could ask for anything in return. In 1660 he claimed his reward asking, "Where would a man place himself, if he wanted to rape the future?" The King of Hell simply replied, "West." Starting in New Amsterdam, Blood journeyed across the violent new frontier, displacing and spreading disease to the Native Americans and revelling in the Civil War. At the start of the 20th Century he makes Gotham City his home.
World War I
Captain Blood was a military anomaly. Where he went, victory followed. On 1st of August, 1917 at Ypres, Blood summoned forth Etrigan to wipe out the German forces, but he did not come alone. When Jason Blood took form again, he was held down by a host of Hell's minions and made to watch as his own forces charged into an onslaught. The carnage would have driven him mad had Etrigan not blocked the images from his mind. However, at this point the demon was not adept at magic and could only cast a blanket spell. Every memory up to that point vanished. Not until 1994 would Blood learn the shocking truth, after nearly 80 years of thinking he was a good man.
Unlocking the Beast
Jason Blood was called to the crypt of Merlin and discovered a poem that could change him into Etrigan. Unfortunately, he was followed by the long-lived Morgaine who lusted for Merlin's secrets. That led to one of Etrigan's major battles and to the solidification of Morgaine as a major enemy.
In the 1990's he meets Glenda Mark a friend and future lover. When Glenda became pregnant Jason worried about her future. When Kathryn Mark is born, Jason decided to destroy the demon and hired hitman Tommy Monaghan for the job. After a battle against both Merlin and Etrigan, the baby is rescued and the heart is removed from Etrigan, giving Jason some control of the demon. After the battle Jason leaves Glenda and Kathryn and before he leaves he tells her, "Take care of our daughter, Glenda. I think it would be best if she never knew about her father." Jason did not pay Monaghan the two million dollars he was promised.
- Immortality: When Merlin bound Etrigan's being to Blood, his mortal form became eternal. He does not age, but he can be harmed, and even killed.
- Magic: Jason is knowledgable in the field of magic, and is often called upon to act as an adviser or investigator in occult matters.
- Energy Absorption: Whether or not Blood was a priest of Gaia, he can tap into the Earth's piezoeletrical force to gain magical energy.
- Eldritch Blast: Blood has projected magical beams unconsciously, and intentionally.
- Telekinesis: Blood used magic to shoplift a pack of condoms from behind the counter.
- Clairvoyance: Jason was able to locate Merlin's Sanctuary in Hell through his mind's eye. Jason was able to view Glenda in another location via the medium of a mirror.
- Summoning: Jason conjured a small dragon to deliver a written message. Jason created a homunculus servant from an inanimate figure and his own blood.
- Magic Wards: Jason is skilled at casting defensive spells. He cast "masking wards" to stop Etrigan spying on his affairs.
- Dimensional Travel: Blood can open portals to Hell. 
- Advanced Magic: Jason has demonstrated specific spells that defy scientific understanding.
- Razormagick: By saying, "Lances!" Jason created a floor of spearheads as a defence.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Jason Blood is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant. 
- Meditation: Through meditation, Jason is able to communicate with Etrigan when the demon is caged inside him. He also used it to recover lost memories.
- Multilingualism: Jason has been alive since the 6th Century. By his own account he has amassed many archaic and modern languages, including Latin, the Romance family, the Germanic and Pro-Germanic family and the entire Celtic language lineage.
While Jason is immortal - in the sense that he doesn't age - his mortal body can still be killed. If he were to die he would kill Etrigan too, but his soul would be condemned to Hell.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Jason was bonded to Etrigan in 560 A.D. when hereditary surnames where not yet used in his culture. His adopted last name comes from the alias that was spread after the massacre of his family and village, Jason-of-the-blood.
- During the Middle Ages, Jason bought an Earldom in Scotland and the hand of Catherine of Saxony.
- Hell is the only place where Jason and Etrgian can exist independently of each other at the same time.
- 196 Appearances of Jason Blood (New Earth)
- 19 Images featuring Jason Blood (New Earth)
- 8 Quotations by or about Jason Blood (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jason Blood (New Earth)
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #10
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #11
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #0
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Demon (Volume 3) #0
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #54
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #12
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #3
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #3
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #30
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #5
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #49
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #31
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Demon (Volume 3) #49
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #49
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #51
- ↑ Reign in Hell #4
- ↑ Demon Annual (Volume 3) #2
- ↑ Demon (Volume 3) #10
- ↑ Demon: Driven Out #4