Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Jay Garrick is a speedster and a member of the Wonders of the World on Earth 2 as The Flash. Jay began as a troubled college graduate whose life seemed to be going nowhere. He had been dating a young woman named Joan until she decided that they were spinning their wheels. She left him and he decided to contemplate his future on a small hill on the outskirts of town. It was there that what he thought was a meteor crashed nearby, and he chose to investigate.
He discovered the dying god Mercury, who had just escaped from his captors who had held him since the invasion from Apokolips was defeated. When Jay asked if it was the forces of Apokolips that imprisoned him he said that it was a force much darker. Mercury warned that there needed to be a new age of heroes to fight this force and that he saw greatness in Jay that perhaps Jay couldn't see in himself. Before dying he imbued Jay with his power and told him to trust no one. Soon after, the police arrived, and Jay ran at speeds he couldn't expect. While testing out his speed, he was confronted by Hawkgirl who had been expecting him.
Jay and Hawkgirl soon discovered that the planet was being overtaken by a force called The Grey, and they journeyed to Washington, DC to put a stop to its avatar, Solomon Grundy. They defeated him with the help of the Green Lantern and The Atom.
The Tower of Fate
Unfortunately, Garrick's conflict with The Atom, his alliance with Hawkgirl, and his status as a metahuman made him an enemy of the World Army. A team of soldiers that included Sonia Sato, the Atom, and the Sandmen were sent Jay's mother's home to apprehend him. They escaped capture with the help of Khalid Ben-Hassin, but were transported into another dimension by Karel Wotan. Wotan's true desire was the Helm of Fate, and had kidnapped Khalid, who had made contact with the spirit of Nabu previously, in order to force him to retrieve the helm. Wotan threatens to kill Jay's mother if he does not assist Khalid in finding the helm, or if he fails to do so. Together, Jay and Khalid ventured into the strange tower, with Jay dealing with its beastly guardian while Khalid proceeded to the room where the helmet was kept. He uses the helmet to transform himself into Doctor Fate. Jay and Khalid brought their fight with Wotan back into the real world after they safely transported themselves and Mrs. Garrick out, and with the help of Green Lantern, the three of them would defeat Wotan.
The Dark Age
- Divine Empowerment: Jay was given his powers by Mercury. Jimmy once claimed it was Apollo.
- Superhuman Speed: After being granted hist power by Mercury, Jay Garrick was gifted with the ability to run at vast superhuman speeds. As he runs, everything appears to be a blur and in slow motion.
- Electrokinesis: As he runs, Jay generates a trail of electricity from behind him.
- Accelerated Healing: As soon as Dr. Fate stopped Famine from feeding on Jay and Kendra's life force, Jay's muscles quickly started to grow back.
- Superhuman Agility: As Jay tests out his powers, he discovered he could run up walls and very easily maneuver himself while running on the rooftops at superhuman speeds.
- 70 Appearances of Jason Garrick (Earth 2)
- 33 Images featuring Jason Garrick (Earth 2)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jason Garrick (Earth 2)
- Character Gallery: Jason Garrick (Earth 2)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
Justice Society of America member