Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Jason Woodrue, also known as the Seeder, is an agent of the Parliament of Trees who saved the life of Alec Holland before he took up his role as the Swamp Thing, and thus was granted limited powers over The Green as a reward.
Learning of the "Green Man"
Seven years before his eventual duel with the Swamp Thing, Jason Woodrue had been studying Environmental Science at Reed University in Oregon, having grown up in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. His professor had espoused a controversial theory that plant life has consciousness, and he had been fascinated and obsessed by the notion. The professor had stumbled onto the concept of plant-life having a living champion called the Avatar. Following legends and folklore including the Green Knight, Khidr, Osiris, and even the fictitious Tom Bombadil, he had posited that somehow, it would be possible for an ordinary man to become that champion.
Wanting to become that "Green Man", Woodrue chased any lead, no matter how tiny, for the truth about this being, eventually coming to Mato Grosso, Brazil. There, having found the Parliament of Trees he begged them to grant him the role of the Avatar, wanting so very badly to protect the Earth, but was not answered. Still, he was not ignored, and the Parliament, having already chosen their avatar, chose to leave him as a potential aid for if they had a task that an avatar could not complete.
Saving Professor Alec Holland
Much later, the Parliament spoke to him, demanding that he save "Alec Holland". In return, he demanded some of their power, even though he was not their avatar. Though Woodrue did not know who this man was, he found him poisoned by brain-destroying, Rot-based flowers created by Anton Arcane and grown in Blestemat, the Swamp Thing gave him to Jason Woodrue, who had made a deal with the Parliament of Trees to help Alec, taking the Parliament's chosen future Avatar back to the airport and the swamp that was home to the Grove that made up Earth's connection to The Green. In exchange for this aid, the deal was that he would be given powers he had demanded, ones that gave him control over a portion of the Green by way of a manipulation of seeds he could use to a multitude of effects.
Woodrue had been unsatisfied with his reward and sought out more power from the Cult of the Cold Flame, specifically Mister E, Felix Faust, and Sargon the Sorceress. They demanded that he perform evil tasks in exchange for that power, tasks he performed without hesitation. The crimes changed him, but he barely noticed, seeking only power. By mixing magic with the Green, he gained new and amazing powers, recapturing the Parliament's attention as the Seeder.
Rise and Fall of the Seeder
War with the Metal and Death
- Elemental Control: As the Avatar of The Green, the Seeder is capable of controlling all elements of plant life. As the Seeder, he was given the power to alter seeds. He likely lost this ability when his powers as Avatar were stolen from him by Alec Holland, and subsequently exiled to The Green along with most prior Avatars
- Magic: Woodrue combines his manipulation of seeds with magic learned from the Cult of the Cold Flame to perform feats unheard of by the Green alone.
- Power Loss: Woodrue's powers rely upon his connection to the Green. If this is stripped from him, he is as powerless as any human.
- Yellow Power Ring: (formerly)
- Jason Woodrue was created by Gardner Fox and Gil Kane, first appearing in Atom #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Jason Woodrue first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Swamp Thing Annual (Volume 5) #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette.
- 18 Appearances of Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."