Java is the Neanderthal servant of scientist Simon Stagg. He was first discovered by fortune hunter Rex Mason, and revived by the scientific wizardry of Stagg Enterprises. Java was present the day that Mason discovered the Orb of Ra inside the pyramid of Ahk-Ton in Egypt. The Orb was responsible for transforming Rex Mason into the metamorphae known as Metamorpho, the Element Man. 
For years, Java lusted after Simon's daughter Sapphire, but was unable to win her heart because she was in love with Metamorpho. This bred a bitter rivalry between the two; one that persisted for many years. Java even risked his life once to save Sapphire from a melting skyscraper, and was transformed into a petrified fossil for his actions. Stagg's scientific prowess saved his life and returned him to normal. 
During a time when Metamorpho was believed to be dead, Sapphire relented to Java's persistent advances and married him. Java became the father figure to Sapphire and Rex's mutant son, Joey.
Java was not an inherently evil individual, but his moral base had been compromised due to his constant exposure to the unscrupulous Simon Stagg. He was also extremely selfish when it came to his wants and desires. When Rex abducted Joey from Stagg Mansion, Java flew into a rage and was determined to kill him. Even Simon's command over him could not quell Java's emotions. Frustrated by the Neanderthal's rare act of defiance, Simon Stagg shot him in the head, seemingly killing him.
Java did not remain dead for long however. The means behind his resurrection are unknown, but he was seen once again several years later attending the funeral of Metamorpho (who at the time was believed to be dead). 
- Enhanced Strength: Java is several times stronger than the average adult male, and is easily capable of picking up and throwing another human being.
- Diminished Intellect: Java is a Neanderthal man, and though quite articulate for a Neanderthal, his intelligence quotient is several times less than that of the average human being. This was most often illustrated by Java's penchant for speaking in the third person. Despite this however, Java has demonstrated various acts of cunning, particularly when it came to foiling the efforts of his rival, Metamorpho.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 85 Appearances of Java (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Java (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Java (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Java (New Earth)
|Characters||Metamorpho | Sapphire Stagg | Simon Stagg | Java | Element Girl | Joey Mason|
|Teams||Justice League America | Justice League Europe | Outsiders | Doom Patrol|
|Villains||Doc Dread | The Thunderer | Maxwell Tremaine | Ahk-Ton | The Phantom of Washington | Jillian Conway|
|Miscellanea||Metamorphae | Elemental Transmutation | Orb of Ra | Stagg Mansion | Stagg Enterprises|
|Creators||Bob Haney | Ramona Fradon | Sal Trapani | Mark Waid | Graham Nolan | Dan Jurgens|
|Comics||Metamorpho (Volume 1) | Metamorpho (Volume 2) | Metamorpho: Year One | Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 1) | Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) | Outsiders (Volume 1) | Outsiders (Volume 3) | Justice League Europe|
|Prehistoric Character(s) |
This character is or was from the Prehistoric Era, thousands of years in the past, including but not limited to the time of Dinosaurs and the dawning of the species of man. These stories occur traditionally before history was formally recorded, and civilization developed completely.