Copy Edit Needed
9000 Years Ago
9000 years ago, Shazam was a young shepherd named Jebediah, who lost his parents to a group of murdering nomads and was left alone. Pleading to the gods, Jebediah formed a covenant with the gods of his people and was chosen by six long-since forgotten gods to become their champion, Vlarem. The six gods were Marsosh (God of Stamina), Arel (Swift Messenger of the Gods), Ribalvei (Most Powerful of the Gods), Voldar (Master of Strength), Elbiam (Lord of Courage), and Lumiun (Patron of Wisdom) and each decided to bestow upon Jebediah a portion of their power to transform him into an empowered adult form. These gods developed a magic code word ("Vlarem") formed from the first initial of their respective names.
At one point, Vlarem was seduced by a demoness disguised as a beautiful woman, and the two of them conceived two half-demon offspring, Blaze and Satanus, much to the displeasure of the gods. Vlarem later created the Rock of Eternity from two large rock formations--one from Heaven and one from Hell--to hold the "Three Faces of Evil", a dragon-like demon, captive.
6000 Years Ago
Jebediah later know as Shazam spent the next 3000 years battling evil but he grew weary and needed to choose a successor. Because the gods that he had relied on for his power had been long forgotten, Shazam petitioned and chose gods, who would grant their powers to Shazam's successor. Shazam chooses a worthy man named Teth-Adam. Adam merely had to speak Shazam's name and he was granted the powers of six Egyptian gods. But Adam's power soon corrupted him and he became less benevolent. Shazam renamed him, Black Adam but unable to strip him of his powers, Shazam banished Adam to the farthest star for his crimes.
Shazam once again waited to find a new successor. Unwilling to make the same mistake twice, Shazam decided to bestow his powers on a boy, much like what had happened to him. Ages passed until Shazam discovered a boy worthy enough to be granted those mighty powers. Shazam chooses young Billy Batson to receive the powers of six of the mightiest gods and mortals. When Billy Batson says the name "Shazam," he is transformed into an adult version of himself -- the world's mightiest mortal... Captain Marvel!
Although Shazam is killed--as prophesied--by a giant granite block falling upon him, Billy/Marvel can summon the ghost of Shazam for guidance by lighting a special wall sconce in Shazam's lair.
Shazam takes up residence on the Rock of Eternity (a temporal spot in space/time) where he records the adventures of the Marvel Family.
Shazam has regained corporeal form and for a brief time lived with Billy Batson so he could regain an understanding of humanity. Sometime later Shazam gained godhood and joined Zeus, Ganthet, Highfather and the Phantom Stranger, and to form the Quintessence -- a group of all powerful beings who kept tabs on the order of the universe.
It seems that Shazam has gone back to the Rock of Eternity and still watches over his charges.
Day of Vengeance
Shazam called upon the Spectre to free Superman from being controlled by the demon Eclipso. This action broke a covenant between Eclipso and the Spectre and set Eclipso permanently at odds against the wizard. Possessing the body of the Atom's ex-wife Jean Loring, Eclipso corrupted the confused Spectre into joining forces with her, and began a war against all magic-powered beings in the DC Universe.
Because of his previous action, Shazam was one of the duo's primary targets. In the Day of Vengeance miniseries, Shazam enlisted Captain Marvel to keep the Spectre at bay while the wizard gathered all of his power to battle him. With the assistance of the newly-formed Shadowpact, a band of magic-based heroes, Marvel fought the Spectre nearly to a standstill, but the Spectre escaped and made his way to the Rock of Eternity to confront Shazam directly. The Spectre overpowered the wizard, absorbed his magicks, and killed him; and the Rock of Eternity disintegrated above Gotham City into "a billion pieces" and exploded, freeing the Seven Deadly Sins and sending a de-powered Billy Batson falling into the city.
Billy found he was still able to transform into the Captain before he struck the ground by saying the wizard's name as usual .
After having his spirit dispersed, Batson had advanced to the wizard's position as Keeper of the Rock of Eternity. But after Batson's advancement, Black Adam along with his resurrected wife Isis was able to take control of the Rock for their own power. It was revealed that the Wizard's spirit form was not completely destroyed by Spectre but sealed away in the separate Rock of Finality. With the help of Jay Garrick, the Wizard's spirit was released from the Rock of Finality. Seeing Batson support his sister who had been corrupted and both becoming a "Black Marvel", the wizard's spirit stripped both Billy and Mary of their powers saying they "had failed him".
The Wizard said that as Freddy Freeman's current "Captain Marvel" powers come directly from the six gods and not under the wizard's control, Freeman "would be dealt with". It remains to be seen what the wizard meant by that statement against Freeman and his role as the six gods' champion.
- Divine Empowerment - All of the powers granted collection of six by gods and figures of legend either directly or through Shazam.
- Accelerated Healing
- Clairvoyance: The ability to understand situations from many angles, including future and past consequences with superhuman clarity and accuracy.
- Divine Grace: Innate luck and divine guidance that allows finesse in actions and dealings with others.
- Eidetic Memory
- Magic Resistance
- Enhanced Intellect: Intellect and wisdom are heightened to superhuman levels. This also provides great or comprehensive knowledge in many areas, including:
- Flight: The ability to hover or soar at high speed through an act of sheer will.
- Healing: The ability to use the transformative lightning to heal others or one's self instantly.
- Indomitable Will: An incredible amount of willpower that allows perseverance in overwhelming odds and seemingly unbeatable situations.
- Self-Sustenance: The ability to survive without sleep, food, water, or air.
- Superhuman Speed: The ability to run or fly at incredible rates of speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Teleportation: The ability to access the Rock of Eternity.
- Transformation: The ability to transform from a mortal to the entity empowered by the six.
- Keeper of the Rock of Eternity: As the Guardian of the Rock of Eternity he is one with the Rock as it is a part of him. He channels the energies of the primal God-wave and the Greek Lords of Magic through the Rock of Eternity. As such he is infused with the duty to keep the power and the magic of the earth realm in balance. As keeper of the Rock of Eternity he also holds the dark forces at bay.
- Inherent Omnipresence: Apparently possessing the power to be everywhere, at all times (i.e. multiple dimensions and places in time.
- Inherent Omniscience: Apparently possessing the power to know anything that he chooses to know and can be known .
- Telepathy: The ability to read the minds of others and project thoughts.
- Magic: Nigh-omnipotent mastery of magics and mysticism.
Bound to the Rock of Eternity though the Wizard's spirit can leave the Rock of Eternity for short periods of time. It should be noted that the Wizard gets weaker the longer he is away from it.
- The Wizard Shazam no longer has an actual physical body and exists only in spirit form. While he can temporarily create a physical body, that creation can only be maintained for a short period of time before it fades and leaves him back in his native non-physical form.
- Shazam isn't empowered by the Power of Shazam but the powers of the gods that represent MARVEL, these gods are "Marsosh, Arel, Ribalvei, Voldar, Elbiam, Lumiun". He hasn't said MARVEL in centuries, it is considered that if he were to say it it wouldn't transform him unless he wished it.
- 71 Appearances of Jebediah of Canaan (New Earth)
- 27 Images featuring Jebediah of Canaan (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Jebediah of Canaan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jebediah of Canaan (New Earth)