True to his alias, the Mad Hatter was obsessed with hats and headpieces of all shapes and sizes, and often made them the targets of his crimes. His chief obsession was, of course, with Batman's cowl. Many times over the course of his criminal career, the Mad Hatter has attempted to coerce the Caped Crusader into unmasking himself - never with any success.
The Runaway Jury
After serving his sentence for one particular conviction and being released, Tetch immediately sought revenge on the people whom he deemed the most responsible for his incarceration. The arch-criminal quickly gathered a gang, and began to sweep through Gotham, kidnapping each of the twelve citizens who had been part of the jury at his last trial (and stealing each of their hats, to boot). The Mad Hatter schemed to extract an unorthodox but highly valuable ransom once he had kidnapped all twelve jurors: a collection of hats that had once belonged to past Presidents of the United States. At the heart of his revenge scheme, however, was the man who had been the prosecution's chief witness at Tetch's last trial: Batman.
- Super-Instant Mesmerizer: The Mad Hatter's most commonly-used gadget was built into his top hat; with the squeeze of a button, the crown of the hat would pop up and reveal a pair of bulbs that emitted a hypnotic light. Anyone struck by the light would instantly fall unconscious. It's later revealed that his brother Morris made it and most of the Mad Hatter's high tech weapons.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Batman and is an adaptation of Mad Hatter. The original character was created by Bill Finger and Sheldon Moldoff and first appeared in Detective Comics #230.
This is the version of the character that was appearing in the comics at the time the series was in production. It was later decided that character was distinct and separate from the Jervis Tetch which Kane created with Bill Finger for Batman #49.
- Mad Hatter was portrayed by David Wayne.
- 4 Appearances of Jervis Tetch (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 4 Images featuring Jervis Tetch (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jervis Tetch (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- Character Gallery: Jervis Tetch (Batman 1966 TV Series)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|1966-1968 Batman television series and the 1966 Batman feature film. This template will categorize articles that include it into Batman TV Series Characters.|
|Batman Villain(s) from the 1966 series |
This character, team or organization, was primarily an enemy of the Batman in either the 1966 film or related television show. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Batman (1966 TV Series) Villains category."