|Real Name||Joar Mahkent|
|Relatives||Cameron Mahkent (son), Artemis Crock (daughter-in-law), Isabelle Rose Mahkent (grand-daughter)|
|Affiliation||Formerly Crime Champions; Injustice Society of the World|
|Base Of Operations||Gotham City|
|Occupation||Professional Criminal; former Physicist|
|Unusual Features||The Icicle usually covered himself with a layer of permafrost from his Cold Gun in order to disguise his features.|
|Universe||Earth-Two, New Earth|
|Place of Death||Oa|
|Creators||Robert Kanigher, Irwin Hasen|
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
When noted European physicist Dr. Joar Mahkent arrived in America with his latest scientific discovery, spectators at dockside were astonished to witness the luxury liner upon which Mahkent was traveling suddenly frozen solid in Gotham Harbor.
Investigating this phenomenon, the original Green Lantern (Alan Scott) was shocked by the sight of Dr. Mahkent shot dead in his stateroom, apparently the victim of Lanky Leeds, a notorious racketeer who was reportedly traveling on the same ship. Thus, when the bizarrely costumed criminal known as the Icicle appeared upon the scene later that same day, wielding a unique weapon capable of instantly freezing solid any moisture in the air, Green Lantern presumed he was actually Lanky Leeds, who had stolen Dr. Mahkent's invention.
After several frustrating encounters, Green Lantern ultimately unmasked the Icicle as Joar Mahkent himself, who had, in fact, murdered Lanky Leeds, using his cold ray gun to temporarily disguise Leed's face as his own. Attempting to escape from Green Lantern, the Icicle leaped off a 20-story building and apparently plunged to his death in the Gotham River far below.
Actually, the Icicle survived his fall into the river, and returned to plague the Emerald Gladiator time and again, eventually becoming a member of the Wizard's second Injustice Society of the World and, later a founding member of the Crime Champions of Two Earths.
The Icicle met his death during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, when he and several other super-villains attempted to invade the laboratory of the renegade Oan Krona.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Anti-Freeze Tunic: Joar wore a special insulated tunic, which protected him from the effects of his own Cold Ray gun. This suit saved his life when he fell into an icy Gotham City river.
- Cold Ray Gun: The Icicle wielded a specially designed cold gun that could instantly freeze molecules of moisture in the air, transforming it into a sheen of ice. The Cold Gun could also freeze living tissue by solidifying the moisture inside of a person's body.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- All-American Comics #90, 92
- All-Star Comics #60-66
- Justice League of America (Volume 1) #21-22, 183-185
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #11
- 51 Appearances of Joar Mahkent (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Joar Mahkent (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Joar Mahkent (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joar Mahkent (New Earth)
- Icicle at dccomics.com
- Icicle at Wikipedia.org
- Icicle article at Wikipedia
- Icicle biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.