Joe Chill was a thug who grew up on the streets of Gotham City. Chill gained an amount of notoriety for being the man who mugged and killed Thomas and Martha Wayne in front of their young son, Bruce. Shattered by the violent deaths of his parents, Bruce Wayne devoted his life towards fighting crime and eventually adopted the identity of the Batman.
The Wayne family murder went unsolved for many years, but eventually Bruce Wayne discovered that Joe Chill was responsible, but could not locate Chill. Batman finally found Chill masterminding a racket to smuggle crooks over state lines in vehicles that belonged to the LSA Trucking Company. When Batman could not find definite proof of Chill's involvement, he revealed himself as Bruce Wayne and told Chill he would be watching his every move until he could arrest him. Chill fled, seeking to shield himself behind the criminals he was employing as truck drivers. He told them that because he had killed Batman's parents, he was responsible for the Caped Crusader's existence. Rather than showing sympathy, however, the thugs decided to take revenge against Chill for virtually "creating" the one responsible for their respective prison terms — shooting their boss and mortally wounding him before he could reveal Batman's secret identity. Before the criminals could get the dying Chill to tell them who Batman was, the Caped Crusader himself arrived and knocked them all out — leaving Chill to take the secret to the grave.
- This version of Joe Chill, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 13 Appearances of Joe Chill (Earth-Two)
- 6 Images featuring Joe Chill (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Joe Chill (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Joe Chill (Earth-Two)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."