Joel Cochin was born a metahuman gifted with the power to mimic the physical and mental capabilities of anyone within a certain range. As an adult, he used this gift to excel within the scientific community, earning himself three Nobel prizes. In his arrogance, Cochin believed that the world had been overrun by those he deemed inferior, so he assumed the costumed identity of Paragon and sought to make a dramatic change by ridding the entire planet of all "inferior" beings. This action invariably brought him into conflict with the Justice League of America. At first, Paragon proved every bit their superior, imitating maneuvers such as Black Canary's judo training or Firestorm's molecular reconstruction abilities. The League determined though that he could not duplicate artificially created abilities such as the energy of a Green Lantern Ring or the aerokinesis of the Red Tornado android. Utilizing this strategy, the League succeeded in defeating Paragon.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Joel Cochin is also known as Dr. J. Baines Cochin.
- 3 Appearances of Joel Cochin (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Joel Cochin (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Joel Cochin (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joel Cochin (New Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."