Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Growing up John Henry Irons was always inspired by heroes, and after his parents' death he realized they named him after John Henry because they wanted him to be hero like the John Henry of legend.
After progressing through graduate school, Doctor Irons was hired by General Sam Lane to create a weapon capable of protecting the Earth from an alien invasion. After Lex Luthor joined the operation Doctor Irons kept the prototype war suit called Metal-Zero hidden for himself, while working with Luthor on a new Metal-Zero suit. When Luthor managed to capture Superman Doctor Irons turned in his resignation upon witnessing the torture the unfortunate hero was under going.
Shortly afterwards during the Terminaut invasion of Earth led by Brainiac Doctor Irons put on the original Metal-Zero armor to help protect the city. Surveying the attack Steel noticed Superman in pitched combat with the newly armored John Corben and intervened with the intent to destroy the new Metal-Zero armor. After winning a short battle against Metallo, Steel helped Superman determine the speed he'd need to reach in order to propel himself into space to save New Troy from Brainiac.
While Superman took the battle to space, Steel remained on Earth to help manage the destruction caused by the abduction of the New Troy district of Metropolis.
After this he and Superman partnered up several more times to fight crime and a menace known as the Kryptonite Man, Steel managed to aid Superman in the villain's defeat and even found a way to deactivate the villain's powers.
After facing the villain Doomsday alongside Superman he was infected with a strange otherworldly toxin, in a bid to prevent further such infections he coated his skin in a malleable liquid steel film, which would protect him from otherworldly infections but did limit his emotional responses.
- Organic Steel Coating: Steel is covered in an organic steel that prevents otherworldly infections. The steel can be used to limit heart rate, effectively limiting emotional responses.
- Steel was created by Louise Simonson and Jon Bogdanove, first appearing in Adventures of Superman #500. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Grant Morrison and Rags Morales' New 52 Action Comics series.
- 56 Appearances of John Henry Irons (Prime Earth)
- 10 Images featuring John Henry Irons (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about John Henry Irons (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: John Henry Irons (Prime Earth)
Superman Family member