Johnny Dune was a singer (and former gang member) who was drafted to fight in Viet Nam. While there, he discovered that he was a mutant who had the power to influence the actions of others with his voice; he used this power first to stop a group of enemy combatants from shooting at him, then to make them stand still while he killed them. On returning to the US, Dune found himself unemployable, and an attempt to get himself elected Mayor by appealing to the nation's youth with his songs led to him being betrayed by his sponsor, who labeled him a radical disrupter. Embittered, Dune used his voice to compell a mob of youths to go on a rampage, and was challenged by the Justice League. He caused Green Arrow and the Atom to fight Batman and Black Canary, but then realized that his followers were heading into danger. Realizing that he had triggered the kids' anger and could only stop them by absorbing it again, Dune commanded the kids to attack him before they could be hurt in the riot he had unwittingly engineered. Dune was almost beaten to death by his followers, who were freed from his control when he lost consciousness. The JLA rushed him to an Emergency Room, where his life was saved, but he discovered that his last scream had burned out his mutant power. Johnny announced that he had learned a lesson about the misuse of power, and would be going into politics to try to change the world for the better the old fashioned way.
Johnny Dune had the mutant power to influence the minds and emotions of others using his voice.
- This version of Johnny Dune (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Johnny Dune (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Johnny Dune (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Johnny Dune (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Johnny Dune (Earth-One)