John "Johnny" Tane was the son of a sheriff and a schoolteacher living in the Mormon settlement of Mesa City, Arizona. While growing up in Mesa City, Johnny's mother makes him promise never to use guns and to instead follow in her footsteps. Johnny became a schoolteacher, but he soon found himself in a situation where violence was required. In order to keep his vow, Johnny created the identity of Johnny Thunder by changing clothes and darkening his hair to black.
Throughout his career as Johnny Thunder, Tane rode a black stallion named Black Lightnin'.
- Colt Revolver: Johnny Thunder utilized two Colt six-shooters.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- All-American Comics
- All-Star Western (Volume 1)
- Johnny Thunder
- Western Comics
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XI
- Secret Origins (Volume 2) #50
- 94 Appearances of John Tane (New Earth)
- 37 Images featuring John Tane (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about John Tane (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: John Tane (New Earth)
- Johnny Thunder at dccomics.com
- Johnny Thunder at Wikipedia.org
- Johnny Thunder article at Toonopedia
- Johnny Thunder profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Johnny Thunder profile at Comicbookdb.com