Johnny Witts was a criminal mastermind, with an incredible power of deduction. Witts sought to prove he could outwit the Batman at every turn, by always being one step ahead of him. Batman eventually cornered Johnny Witts by tailing one of his people to his hideout. Witts had prepared himself as he anticipated this turn of events, but still the police came. Batman explained that he had placed a tracer on himself for the police to follow as well. Johnny Witts was taken to prison, where he took solace in the fact that he knew exactly how he could have gotten out of that situation, though he arrived at the solution too late.
Johnny Witts eventually escaped from prison and disguised himself as a new crime boss, the Swami, who had the power to see when and how Batman would try to capture him. As the Swami, Johnny Witts set the Fearsome Foursome loose on Gotham City with carefully prepared crimes that would bring Batman to him. With Batman captured, the Swami revealed his true identity as Johnny Witts and he left Batman to die in a complex trap, so when Batman showed up soon afterwards alive, Witts was taken by surprise. Assuming that Batman was dead, he didn't bother to think ahead of Batman this time and as a result he was arrested once again.
Later, Johnny returned alongside several other members of Batman's rogues gallery: The Joker, Catwoman, the Mad Hatter, Cluemaster, and the Getaway Genius. These villains were called together by the Penguin, who plotted against a new crime syndicate who had come to town. The Penguin feared that if the newcomers defeated the Batman, they would come after other villains next. So, to save their own skins, they plotted to save the Batman from a series of traps behind the scenes. What the Penguin didn't know was that the time and location of the traps were "super-whispered" to him by another villain, Mister Esper. Once the villains had helped Batman bring in the crime syndicate, a path had been cleared for Johnny Witts to take another crack at Batman.
- This version of Johnny Witts, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 3 Appearances of Johnny Witts (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Johnny Witts (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Johnny Witts (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Johnny Witts (Earth-One)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."