In the 16th Century, Jon Valor was a privateer working on a commission from the King, and always working to a strong moral code of justice. Jon would have multiple adventures. His Black Mask identity would bring him involved with his adversary, Don Carlos, who wanted Jon to hunt down Black Mask. Jon's costume would change from its singular dark colors to a wild, more colorful one. He would even gain a sidekick in his adventures, his son Justin.
Many years would pass. The two separate and Jon eventually finds out his son had been murdered. Accused of the crime himself, he was hung in the port that would eventually become Opal City. Before his death, he crafted a curse on the city that no person who died there (nor his old crew) would rest until Jon's name had been cleared. He remains in the city as a ghost.
By the modern era, Jon's spirit ended up helping the rookie hero Jack Knight fight a crime wave caused by the Mist. Jon helps Jack from the sidelines, slaying many of the Mist's soldiers. Eventually he contacts Jack directly and asks for his help, at the time also relating the circumstances of his death. Knight promises to prove the Black Pirate's innocence. Before he can fulfill this, the murderous dwarf Simon Culp uses Jon's curse for his own evil purposes. Culp's plans fall apart when the legendary detective Hamilton Drew, working with Ralph and Sue Dibny prove Jon was innocent. Not only was Jon's soul freed, every soul that had ever died in Opal was freed also.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 83 Appearances of Jon Valor (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Jon Valor (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jon Valor (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jon Valor (New Earth)