""Deadman's Hand!"": Croy reads a local newspaper and learns that bounty hunter, Jonah Hex, has arrested his old colleague Rodney Webster. He recalls that both Webster and he were responsible for a train robbery fifteen years ago, that resulted in the death of Jonah's fiancée, Cassie Wainright.
- Well, ah'll be a raccoon! Just lookit all them aces! It ain't too often yuh see cards like thet... in a losin hand!
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Deadman's Hand!"
- Lisa (Single appearance) (Only appearance; dies)
- Sharon Hilliard (Single appearance)
- Croy (Single appearance) (Only appearance; dies)
- Art (Single appearance)
- Barney (Single appearance)
- Barstow (Single appearance) (Behind the scenes)
- Cassie Wainright (Single appearance) (Flashback only) (Deceased)
- Colonel Wainright (Single appearance)
- Doc Brewster (Single appearance)
- Eddie (Single appearance)
- Frank (Single appearance)
- Nora Hartford (Single appearance)
- Rodney Webster (Single appearance) (Behind the scenes)
- Jefferson Township
- Grand Hotel
- Willow Bend
- El Posta Cantina
- Hotel de la Cabron
- Jose's Cantina
- Colt Revolver
Synopsis for "Deadman's Hand!"
Croy reads a local newspaper and learns that bounty hunter, Jonah Hex, has arrested his old colleague Rodney Webster. He recalls that both Webster and he were responsible for a train robbery fifteen years ago, that resulted in the death of Jonah's fiancée, Cassie Wainright. Croy fears that Jonah may soon come gunning for him as well.
He enters the gambling parlor of the Grand Hotel and engages in a game of poker with three other gamblers. The gamblers catch Croy cheating at cards, forcing him to flee the casino guns blazing.
Two-hundred miles away in the town of Careysburg, Jonah Hex stops at the El Posta Cantina for a drink. He witnesses three drunkards harassing a barmaid, and intervenes on her behalf. After thoroughly beating up the inebriated ruffians, Jonah retires to a hotel room. The barmaid, Lisa, follows him and stays in his room for a time.
Later that evening, Croy arrives in Careysburg and tracks Jonah to his hotel room. Peering at the window from across the street, he spies Jonah behind the curtains and fires his rifle. However, he mistakes Lisa for Jonah and accidentally kills the barmaid instead.
The following morning, Jonah brings Lisa's body to the local undertaker. The three drunkards that Jonah had beaten up the night before arrive to exact revenge. Jonah believes that they are the ones responsible for Lisa's death and shoots all three of them.
As he leaves the building though, Croy manages to fire a rifle shot that creases the back of Jonah's skull. A few locals bring him to Doc Brewster's office, and Jonah begins to suffer from fever dreams. He recalls the events, which led to the death of Cassie Wainright.
The following day, Croy learns that Jonah is still alive and decides to finish him off. He barges into Doc Brewster's office, but Jonah appears hale and hearty. Croy tries to get the drop on him by way of a concealed revolver in his sleeve, but Jonah shoots him twice in the chest before Croy can get a shot off.
- This issue contains flashbacks to events that were first revealed in Jonah Hex (Volume 1) #65.
- The representation of Croy on the front of this issue is different from that presented in the actual story.
- Hex body count: 4
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Jonah Hex Vol 1 67 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Jonah Hex series
- All-American Western
- All-Star Western (Volume 1)
- All-Star Western (Volume 2)
- All-Star Western (Volume 3)
- Frontier Fighters
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1)
- Jonah Hex (Volume 2)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 1)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 2)
- Western Comics
Links and References
- Jonah Hex article at Wikipedia
- Jonah Hex page at Toonpedia
- Jonah Hex fan page
- Jonah Hex biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database