""Sweetheart of the Rodeo"": A young girl named Carolee is riding her horse along a trail practicing rodeo stunts. A nearby rattlesnake spooks the horse, sending Carolee flying to the ground. Fortunately, Jonah Hex is nearby and gives her a hand. The two spend some time together, and Jonah l
- Git away from here, yuh blasted critter! Or'so help me ah'll climb on outa this barrel an' blow yore ears off!
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"
- Brett (Single appearance)
- Pete (Only appearance; dies)
- Billy Washoe (Single appearance)
- Carolee (Single appearance)
- Ned (Single appearance)
- Rory Starbuck (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"
A young girl named Carolee is riding her horse along a trail practicing rodeo stunts. A nearby rattlesnake spooks the horse, sending Carolee flying to the ground. Fortunately, Jonah Hex is nearby and gives her a hand. The two spend some time together, and Jonah learns that Carolee is auditioning for Rory Starbuck's Wild West Review. Jonah knows and old army buddy that is now assciated with Rory's, and asks to accompany her. Carolee, smitten by Jonah's presence, agrees to let him come along.
The following day, Carolee tries out for the rodeo and Rory Starbuck is so impressed that he gives her a job right away. Carolee and Jonah walk off to celebrate, when Jonah notices a fire in the horse stable. He goes to put it out, but three rustlers hidden in the shadows jump out and attack him. It is obvious from their demeanor, that they are the ones responsible for the fire.
Jonah comes to inside a nearby hotel and finds Rory Starbuck and Carolee standing over him. Rory is grateful to Jonah for ferreting out the rustlers, and wants to offer him a job protecting the rodeo from future attacks. Jonah agrees to stay long enough to put a stop to these criminals.
Meanwhile, Emmylou Hartley has escaped from Brett's and is now running for her life. Brett chases after her, but Emmy fights him off. As she races across the countryside, she falls inside of a deep well, partially obscured by some underbrush.
The following day, Jonah Hex is taking a ride along the countryside when the rustlers jump out and try to ambush him. Hex guns down a man named Pete, but is shocked when Pete’s body completely disappears before his eyes.
He returns to Rory Starbucks, where Rory has a plan for Hex to draw the remaining rustlers out of hiding. Jonah finds a couple of suspicious looking men who are working as rodeo clowns. In order to ferret them out, Jonah likewise dresses up as a clown and waits for them to make their move. Jonah exposes the remaining two criminals and knocks them both out. Frustrated both with the rodeo environment, as well as Carolee's persistent affection towards him, he leaves Rory Starbucks for a more promising venue.
- No special notes.
- Rory Starbuck's Wild West Review features a tagline that reads, "The Greatest Show on Earth". This was also the name of a 1952 movie starring Jimmy Stewart, centered around the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
- Billy Washoe, the announcer for Rory Starbuck's Wild West Review bears a strong resemblance to Buffalo Bill Cody, owner of Buffalo Bill's Wild West.
Hex body count: 1
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Jonah Hex Vol 1 91 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Jonah Hex series
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1)
- Jonah Hex (Volume 2)
- Jonah Hex and Other Western Tales
- Jonah Hex: Riders of the Worm and Such
- Jonah Hex: Shadows West
- Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo
Links and References
- Jonah Hex article at Wikipedia
- Jonah Hex page at Toonpedia
- Jonah Hex fan page
- Jonah Hex biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database