"Giving the Devil His Due": Bounty hunter Jonah Hex has a shoot-out with a fellow hunter named James Ronnie. He guns Ronnie down for the unnecessary murder of an Apache woman. Afterwards, he rides on until he arrives at the Foster estate in Chesterton. Johshua Foster hires Jonah to find his
- Normally I'd hang you. But I figure your actions warrant something really cruel and unusual.
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Giving the Devil His Due"
- Jacob Foster (Only appearance; dies)
- Joshua Foster (Single appearance)
- Victor Romanoff (Only appearance; dies)
- April Foster (Single appearance)
- Emma Foster (Single appearance)
- James Ronnie (Single appearance)
- Jim (Single appearance)
- June Foster (Single appearance)
- Pinkertons (Mentioned only)
- Tompkins Gang (Deceased)
Synopsis for "Giving the Devil His Due"
Bounty hunter Jonah Hex has a shoot-out with a fellow hunter named James Ronnie. He guns Ronnie down for the unnecessary murder of an Apache woman. Afterwards, he rides on until he arrives at the Foster estate in Chesterton. Johshua Foster hires Jonah to find his missing son, Jacob. Jacob has been missing for several weeks, but so far no one has issued any ransom demands. Hex accepts the job, but warns Foster that his son may very well be dead.
Jonah tracks the boy to a carnival side show run by Victor Romanoff. Romanoff takes in young boys and trains him to fight against starving dogs in his pit fights. Young Jacob is one of Romanoff's star attractions and is billed under the name, Little Devil. As Jonah investigates further, he learns that the boy is rabid and slowly dying. He decides to put him out of his misery by smothering him with a pillow.
He then apprehends Victor Romanoff and tosses him into the pit arena. He covers him with a bucket of pig's blood and sets the snarling pit bulls after him. Afterwards, Jonah returns to the Foster estate and tells Joshua Foster that his son is dead, but he died like a man. He doesn’t tell him that he ended the boy's life.
- This issue is reprinted in the Jonah Hex: Face Full of Violence trade paperback.
- The last issue of a Jonah Hex series was published in 1999 as part of Shadows West.
- This issue is an homage to the first issue of Jonah Hex (Volume 1) which also told a story about Hex taking down a children-fighting ring. In that story, he was also asked to track down a rich man's child but forced to bring him home in a box.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Jonah Hex Vol 2 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Jonah Hex series
- Images from Jonah Hex Vol 2 1