""Retribution (Part I of III)"": Wyoming Badlands, 1868
- I'm sending you to ta Hell with a message. When you meet the Devil... tell 'em Jonah Hex sends his regards.
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Retribution (Part I of III)"
- Ackerman (Single appearance)
- Blix (Single appearance)
- Fulsome (Single appearance)
- Pete (Single appearance)
- Rick "Rufus" Debun (Single appearance)
- Nathan (Single appearance)
- Colt Revolvers
Synopsis for "Retribution (Part I of III)"
Wyoming Badlands, 1868
- Five outlaws, including former Union officer Captain Fulsome gather around a campfire at night. They discuss a recent robbery and the subsequent evasion of a pursuing posse. Suddenly, a mysterious stranger attacks from the shadows, taking each outlaw down one by one. He saves Captain Fulsome for last.
Flashback: Fort Donelson, Tennessee, 1862
- The Union army of West Tennessee raids a Confederate garrison. Rebel soldier Jonah Hex dives into the Union soldiers, slicing at them with a tomahawk. Captain Fulsome mans a Gatling gun and riddles Hex's body with bullets. Senior officer Colonel Ackerman orders all of the men at the garrison killed except for Jonah.
Flashback: Cumberland River, September 18th, 1862
- Colonel Ackerman and Captain Fulsome tie Jonah Hex to a makeshift crucifix on top of a skiff. Fulsome begins whipping him, and the resulting injuries scars Jonah's face and right eye. Having caused him sufficient agony, the Union officers set the skiff sailing down the river.
- Before long a man named Nathan and his son find Jonah's unconscious form upon the skiff. They bring him into their spacious home and nurse him back to health.
Flashback: January 17th, 1863
- Colonel Fulsome and a group of soldiers raid Nathan's home searching for Hex. They shoot Nathan in cold blood and prepare to rape his wife. Jonah Hex rushes out and begins hacking at the soldiers with an axe. He kills several of them, but Fulsome gets away.
Wyoming Badlands, 1868
- Fulsome takes refuge inside of a brothel, but the mysterious stranger who killed his men manages to find him. It is Jonah Hex. Having searched for him for five long years, Jonah exacts revenge upon the man who tortured him.
Hex body count: 10 (includes flashback sequences)
- This issue shipped on November 8th, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Jonah Hex: Origins trade paperback.
- The tagline for this story is "The Shocking Origin of Jonah Hex".
- This issue re-imagines Jonah Hex's origins. In the revised origin, Captain Fulsome is responsible for Jonah's scarred face and ruined eye. In the original continuity, an Apache chieftain branded Hex with the Mark of the Demon.
- In the original continuity, Hex's capture at Fort Donelson took place at Fort Charlotte. The incident became known as the Fort Charlotte Massacre.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Jonah Hex Vol 2 13 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Jonah Hex series
- Images from Jonah Hex Vol 2 13
- All-American Western
- All-Star Western (Volume 1)
- All-Star Western (Volume 2)
- All-Star Western (Volume 3)
- Frontier Fighters
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1)
- Jonah Hex (Volume 2)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 1)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 2)
- Western Comics
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"