"The Time I Almost Died": Jonah Hex and his bounty, Chako Jones, have fortified themselves in an old shack, which half a dozen men armed with guns are standing in front of, demanding that they come out or be shot. Lead flies and then one of the men kicks open the door. Once all six have entere
- I don't insinuate.
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "The Time I Almost Died"
- Chako Jones (Single appearance)
- Mayleen McCreed (Single appearance)
- Mayor McCreed (Only appearance; dies)
- Aubrey McHane (Only appearance; dies)
- Billy (Single appearance)
- Conner (Only appearance; dies)
- Ted (Single appearance)
- Zachary (Single appearance)
- Tall Pines, Colorado
Synopsis for "The Time I Almost Died"
Jonah Hex and his bounty, Chako Jones, have fortified themselves in an old shack, which half a dozen men armed with guns are standing in front of, demanding that they come out or be shot. Lead flies and then one of the men kicks open the door. Once all six have entered the shack, Jonah Hex, positioned in the rafters above them lets fly some lead of his own, killing all six. He then collects Chako and returns him to the Mayor of Tall Pines, who hired him, telling him that Chako raped his daughter, Mayleen. Mayleen approaches Hex and slaps him. The mayor asks some men to take his daughter home and keep an eye on her and explains to Hex that she is mute and must be upset seeing Chako again.
Hex stays in town because he is awaiting payment from the mayor. Hex goes to the saloon and starts playing a hand of poker. Mayleen rushes in and leaves him a note saying "Chako is innocent. I helped Chako escape. You brought him back. His blood is on your hands." Hex catches up with Mayleen and tells her everything is going to be alright. He then goes to the jail and frees Chako. As they are leaving the jail, they are beset upon by the sheriff's men and the mayor. The two are to be hanged that night.
A gallows is set up and Hex and Chako are led out onto it. In addition to the nooses around their necks, both men are gagged, so they cannot reveal the truth behind their situation. Mayleen arrives on the scene with a shotgun just as the bottom drops out of the gallows. She shoots the ropes and using the barrel of the shotgun draws the words MY FATHER DID IT in the sand by way of explanation. The crowd calls for a hanging, but this time it is the Mayor who will dance at the end of the rope.
- This book was first published on February 8, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Jonah Hex: Face Full of Violence trade paperback.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Jonah Hex Vol 2 4 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Jonah Hex series
- Images from Jonah Hex Vol 2 4
- All-American Western
- All-Star Western (Volume 1)
- All-Star Western (Volume 2)
- All-Star Western (Volume 3)
- Frontier Fighters
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1)
- Jonah Hex (Volume 2)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 1)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 2)
- Western Comics
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"