Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Remnants of Gotham, I have messages for you all. To the vandals who stayed behind to pick the still-warm flesh from Gotham's bones: have your fun. You are under my protection. To the cowards quaking behind the police department's walls: you will not be spared. And to Batman, I have already won. Emptied your city with a vial of toxin and a few threatening words. That's how little the safety you provided was worth. And when the dawn comes, when Gotham lies in ruins and I turn my gaze to the world beyond, the legend of the Batman will be worth nothing at all.
- -- Scarecrow src
Taunted and bullied in his youth, Jonathan Crane vowed to overcome his fears through the study of psychology and biochemistry. Kicked out of his university for experimenting on human subjects, Crane adopted the identity of the Scarecrow and armed himself with a specialized fear-inducing gas that makes a person's deepest fears become frighteningly real. His ongoing criminal reign of terror makes him one of Batman's most psychologically dangerous foes.
Road to Arkham
An anonymous tip to Scarecrow's activities noted in the patient interviews in the form of a vial of the Scarecrow's Fear Gas was left at police headquaters. Using this, Batman was able to create an antidote. The Scarecrow was found by Batman using his Fear Gas to attack his state-sponsored psychologist. Batman apprehended the Scarecrow and locked him back up into Arkham Asylum. It was revealed that the vial came from Dr. Kellerman. Even though Scarecrow was back in Arkham, he continued his plans from a secret loft hidden in the Intensive Treatment Center, plotting his next move and even getting his hands on the blueprints of Arkham Asylum.
The Batman is subjected to nightmares induced by inhaling fear gas, in each of which he confronts a giant version of Scarecrow who torments the Batman as he navigates his way through an obstacle course to reach the Bat signal in order to end the nightmare. In the final nightmare, Batman is presented as a patient brought into the mental facility by the Joker and is examined by the Scarecrow prior to the Joker shooting the Dark Knight with a bullet, only to soon dig himself out of a grave. As Batman reaches the end of the last nightmare, he is found grasping the real Scarecrow, who is perplexed by the fact that his opponent was able to overcome nightmares that would have broken weaker men. He is later spotted trying to dump a particularly strong fear toxin into Gotham's water supply but he is dragged into the deep by Killer Croc.
Crane, having survived his encountered with Croc, began to occupy a small boat near the entrance to Joker's Funland were he occupies his time torturing captured Joker thugs, a hobby funded by the Falcone Crime Family.
Scarecrow returns to Gotham City with the mysterious Arkham Knight and the former assassin Deathstroke to turn Gotham into a city of fear and unmask Batman. He and his alliance contacted Simon Stagg to make a dispersing fear toxin device called the Cloudburst. After Jason Todd failed Crane, he took Robin and Commissioner Gordon to Arkham Asylum so Batman could surrender. Crane gave Batman fear toxin so his Joker counterpart would be free. Crane exposed Batman's identity as Bruce Wayne to the news. Crane was stung by the fear toxin and got sent to GCPD. His actions made Batman commence the Knightfall Protocol.
- Science: Crane is an expert scientist and created a fear toxin from scratch.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the video game Batman: Arkham Asylum and is an adaptation of Scarecrow. The original character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane and first appeared in World's Finest #3.
- Scarecrow is voiced by Dino Andrade in the video game Batman: Arkham Asylum, John Noble in the video game Batman: Arkham Knight and Christian Lanz in the animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham.
- The Scarecrow's final nightmare in Arkham Asylum is first presented as a fake glitch in the game that makes it appear to reset to the opening scene.
- 14 Appearances of Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- 3 Images featuring Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."