- "Is your mind playing tricks on you... or am I?"
- -- Jonathan Crane src
- -- Jonathan Crane src
Taunted and bullied in his youth, Jonathan Crane vowed to overcome his fears through the study of psychology and biochemistry. Kicked out of his university for experimenting on human subjects, Crane adopted the identity of the Scarecrow and armed himself with a specialized fear-inducing gas that makes a person's deepest fears become frighteningly real. His ongoing criminal reign of terror makes him one of Batman's most psychologically dangerous foes.
An anonymous tip to Scarecrow's activities noted in the patient interviews in the form of a vial of the Scarecrow's Fear Gas was left at police headquaters. Using this, Batman was able to create an antidote. The Scarecrow was found by Batman using his Fear Gas to attack his state-sponsored psychologist. Batman apprehended the Scarecrow and locked him back up into Arkham Asylum. It was revealed that the vial came from Dr. Kellerman. Even though Scarecrow was back in Arkham, he continued his plans from a secret loft hidden in the Intensive Treatment Center, plotting his next move and even getting his hands on the blueprints of Arkham Asylum.
In Arkham Asylum, the Batman is subjected to nightmares induced by inhaling fear gas, in each of which he confronts a giant version of Scarecrow who torments the Batman as he navigates his way through an obstacle course to reach the Bat signal in order to end the nightmare. In the final nightmare, Batman is presented as a patient brought into the mental facility by the Joker and is examined by the Scarecrow prior to the Joker shooting the Dark Knight with a bullet, only to soon dig himself out of a grave. As Batman reaches the end of the last nightmare, he is found grasping the real Scarecrow, who is perplexed by the fact that his opponent was able to overcome nightmares that would have broken weaker men. He is later spotted trying to dump a particularly strong fear toxin into Gotham's water supply but he is dragged into the deep by Killer Croc. Scarecrow was thought dead but, at the end of the game, Scarecrow's hand is one of the three that might grab onto the Titan container, proving his survival.
As an easter egg in game, Crane is confirmed to have survived his encounter with Killer Croc. He has occupied a small boat near the entrance to Joker's Funland were he has been torturing captured Joker thugs. Other easter eggs in the game shows that Batman can pick up hidden messages from Scarecrow on his Bat-synchronizer.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Fear Projection: With the use of his fear toxin, Scarecrow is able to bring his targets into his nightmare realm where their great fears are projection and reality is altered.
- Science: Crane is an expert scientist and created a fear toxin from scratch.
- This version of the character is native to the Batman: Arkham Asylum videogame.
- The Scarecrow's final nightmare in Arkham Asylum is first presented as a fake glitch in the game that makes it appear to reset to the opening scene.
- 5 Appearances of Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- 1 Images featuring Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Crane (Arkhamverse)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."