Jonathan Drew grew up a lonely student and orphan. The only person who ever cared about him was his sister, Maria. As adults, Maria became a trial attorney and set her sights on taking down the mob. Some sources say that she was in bed with the mob, others think that her investigations uncovered too many of their dirty little secrets. Whatever the truth may be, the mob eventually saw her as a threat to their empire and had her killed. The death of his sister, pushed Jonathan Drew beyond the edge of reason. The day after her funeral, he embarked upon the violent lifestyle of a vigilante. Calling himself Codename: Assassin, he pledged himself towards bringing down organized crime and avenging his sister's death.
A short time later, Drew volunteered for a secret government program designed to increase his effectiveness. After a series of experiments, Jonathan Drew developed the ability to move objects with his mind and read the thoughts of others. His first mission as Codename: Assassin pitted him against two low-key villains known as Powerhouse and the Snake.
Drew fell off the grid shortly after this incident. He was indoctrinated into an elite military program, eventually earning the rank of Colonel. Most of Codename: Assassin's exploits during this time has yet to be revealed, but one of his assignments included assassinating five premier scientists working for Project Cadmus; specifically, the five men who once comprised the original Newsboy Legion. Drew's assignment also included killing one or more of the numerous clones of the original Guardian that has been active over the past several years. Around the time of the so-called "Final Crisis", Drew interfered in a fight between Superman and Atlas. His presence at the fight earned him the attention of eager photo-journalist Jimmy Olsen. Oddly, Jonathan Drew was unable to use his telepathy to read Jimmy's thoughts. Almost immediately after this incident, Codename: Assassin murdered Project Cadmus' administrator Dubbilex.
- Telepathy: Limited powers which allows him to sense emotions and read surface thoughts as well as noticing their presence before seeing or hearing them.
- Telekinesis: His TK allows him to move objects at least as heavy as himself, and to walk in the air.
Jonathan Drew possesses the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Various automatic weapons, including a pair of high tech pistols which shoot tranquilizer darts.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 19 Appearances of Jonathan Drew (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Jonathan Drew (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jonathan Drew (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Drew (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: