A high-ranking scientist from Krypton, Jor-El was happily married to his wife, Lara Lor-Van. So great was their love, the two defied Kryptonian law by conceiving their first child naturally. Not long after the birth of the child, a boy they named Kal-El, Jor-El discovered evidence that Krypton's core was growing unstable at a rapid rate and the planet would soon come to an end.
Jor-El attempted to present his findings to the Kryptonian ruling council, only for the meeting to be interrupted by a violent military coup, lead by his oldest friend, Dru-Zod. Fleeing for his life, Jor-El broke into the birthing matrix where the next generation of Kryptonians were being grown and stole the codex that contained the entire Kryptonian genetic code. Avoiding the firefight in the skies of Krypton as best he could, Jor-El returned to his family citadel. Thinking swiftly, Jor and Lara loaded the codex into Kal's every cell and placed him into a prototype escape rocket Jor had designed. As the ship launched, Zod and his lieutenant, Faora, broke into the citadel. Jor attempted to reason with Zod, explaining that Kal's natural birth proved that the Kryptonians could change and grow beyond their rigid social structure. In Zod's military mind, this was heresy. The two men engaged in a viscious duel of hand-to-hand combat. Though he held his own, Jor was no match for Zod's military training and was fatally stabbed. However, Jor had not been trying to win. He had successfully distracted Zod long enough for Kal's rocket to escape the doomed planet.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Extended Universe and is an adaptation of Jor-L. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Superman #53.
- Jor-El is played by Russell Crowe.
- 1 Appearances of Jor-El (DC Extended Universe)
- 3 Images featuring Jor-El (DC Extended Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jor-El (DC Extended Universe)
- Character Gallery: Jor-El (DC Extended Universe)
Superman Family member