This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
- You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you. Even in the face of our deaths, the richness of our lives shall be yours. All that I have, all that I've learned, everything I feel, all this and more, I...I bequeath you, my son. You will carry me inside you all the days of your life. You will make my strength your own. See my life through your eyes...as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father...the son. This is all I...all I can send you, Kal-El.
- -- Jor-El src
Jor-El was a member of the Science Council of the planet Krypton, who discovered that the planet and its sun are on the verge of destruction. However, his warnings to the Science Council fell on deaf ears, as they considered this to be inciting sedition. Earlier on, Jor-El was involved in the sentencing of three dangerous criminals, General Zod, Ursa, and Non, for the crime of inciting sedition against the government and banished them to eternal imprisonment in the Phantom Zone amid threats from Zod that someday his adversary and even his heirs will bow down before him. Undaunted by the ignorance of the Science Council, Jor-El built a star ship for his infant son Kal-El to travel to Earth in, placing within the ship a green glowing crystal and an energy module containing the last remanining energies of Krypton. Lara sees the Earth as being primitive and that Kal-El will be a stranger among them, but Jor-El assures her that his son shall never be alone. As they watch the star ship rise into the sky and depart from Krypton, the ground crumbles underneath their feet and everyone else's until both Krypton and its sun explodes.
About 18 years after reaching Earth, Kal-El who became Clark Kent was summoned by the green glowing crystal to travel to the Arctic Circle and cast it into the sea from where it created a Kryptonian-style structure called the Fortress of Solitude. Inside, Clark activated a holographic representation of his biological father Jor-El, who taught his son the true nature of himself and his true name being Kal-El, spending 12 years teaching his son everything the memory crystals have recorded. At the end of the teaching, Kal-El now stands in the uniform of a superhero that the world will call Superman, bearing the family crest of El as a symbol upon his chest as did his real father before him.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Donnerverse film series and is an adaptation of Jor-L. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Superman #53.
- This version of Jor-El is played by Marlon Brando, who appeared in Superman: The Movie, Superman II (mostly in the Richard Donner cut as a hologram).
- 3 Appearances of Jor-El (Donnerverse)
- 2 Images featuring Jor-El (Donnerverse)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jor-El (Donnerverse)
- Character Gallery: Jor-El (Donnerverse)