Jor-El of Earth-117 travelled to Earth with his family. He was a scientist, but no-one liked him so he went to live in seclusion. His wife died, and his son went his own way. One day, he spotted heroes from Earth-One, lost in the multiverse. He mistook them for conquerors, and wanted to kill them, but accidentally grabbed the wrong device from his arsenal. His duplicator ray copied the heroes' capes as they were leaving.
Because the fabric of the capes was a scarcity on Earth-117, Jor-El duplicated it countless times and made it into a profitable business. Soon, a law was passed that only the well-to-do could wear capes, and all others would be sold into slavery. Jor-El had an endless supply of capes, and became rich, though he still shunned the outside world.
Jimmy Olsen of Earth-One was accidentally transported to the planet, and set about cracking the mystery of the capes. When he confronted Jor-El, the Kryptonian scientist used a device to send Jimmy to another dimension - home.
- This version of Jor-El (Earth-117), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Jor-El (Earth-117)
- 1 Images featuring Jor-El (Earth-117)
- Quotations by or about Jor-El (Earth-117)
- Character Gallery: Jor-El (Earth-117)