While Zor-L was the more elaborate of the two budding scientists, his older brother Jor-L was the more practical. This would be later shown in their achievement and their designs on rockets that would save their respective children.
Most of Jor-L's designs were either of questionable results or impractical to the most of the recognized members of the ruling council. However as Jor-L's devices were of practical use, he was either an actual member or associate to the scientific counsel. Zor-L became an actual member of the ruling counsel though of low order.
During his many research he met and became interested in a young librarian named Lora. Lora felt the same towards Jor-L and the two married. It was early in their married life that the planet Krypton began to experience extreme internal disruptions. Fearing the worst Jor-L and his brother Zor-L both began developing an escape rocket. However Jor-L's design was not really beyond the test phase of his interplanetary rocket when the eruptions began to become too regular and intense. Only days earlier his wife Lora had given birth to their son Kal-L.
Seeing the eruptions causing the destruction of the main city on Krypton, Jor-L and Lora lept away to Jor-L secret lab where his experimental rocket was stored. Seeing the destruction of their planet had begun Jor-L informed Lora of his plans to send her and newly born Kal-L to the observed planet Sol III in a different galaxy.
Fearing the rocket would have a better chance with only the weight and support for only Kal-L, Lora decided to remain with her husband. Both Jor-L and Lora remained on the exploding Krypton while Kal-L was rocketed to the distant planet where he would grow up in the name of Clark Kent and costumed identity of Superman.
Jor-L, as did all Kryptonians of the Earth-Two universe, had superhuman powers inherent to their own evolution and physiology which included being able to lift several tons while on Krypton, as well as the ability to leap thousands of feet into the air, sub/near sonic speed movement and high-end endurance while on their red sun-based planet unlike other-dimensional Kryptonians, who need solar energy from a yellow sun to be able to do such feats.
Jor-L, same as all members of his race, did not get extra powers in yellow sun systems and needed to rest in order to recover his powers, or they would progressively become weaker until rest.
Jor L's powers and abilities were not inexhaustible and required rest in order to recover them.
Various as Jor-L created many different devices; his most-noted being an experimental space drive that covered the distance between Krypton and Earth in a few days, which delivered his only son to Earth. Other spacecraft manufactured with a super-resistant plastic alloy was used to banish the 3 kryptonian supercriminals, Kizo, U-Ban e Mala in suspended animation.
Usually none, as most Earth-Two Kryptonians could leap into the air to any locale on their planet they wanted to go to within a reasonable amount of time.
For faster speed travel and conservation of their own personal powers, they would use motorized "gliders".
- An earlier, apparently unconnected character also called Jor-L had previously appeared in New Adventure Comics #12 in 1937. This Jor-L, an interplanetary investigator, was also created by Siegel and Shuster.
- This version of Jor-L (Earth-Two), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse saving all the alternate realities though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 12 Appearances of Jor-L (Earth-Two)
- 5 Images featuring Jor-L (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Jor-L (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Jor-L (Earth-Two)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: