- When I get out, I'll get back at coppers and pennies! I'll fight coppers-- with pennies! Every job I pull will involve pennies! My crime symbol will be pennies!
- -- The Penny Plunderer src
Joe Coyne was a man of modest beginnings. He earned pennies by peddling newspapers. He was later fired from his job for pitching pennies in the office and began a career in crime. He fumbled his first heist by robbing a cash register stuffed with pennies.
He later learned to embrace the symbol of his failure, and carved out a corner of the underworld by specializing in penny-themed crimes. His downfall was ironically caused by a pennies, the symbol of his failure and he was eventually defeated by Batman. Coyne was arrested and sentenced to death.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The Giant Penny featured in the Penny Plunderer's first appearance, became a constant feature of the Batcave.
- 4 Appearances of Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- The Penny Plunderer at Wikipedia.org
- The Absorbascon: The Penny Plunderer, on Logic
- "Villains unlikely to turn up in future Batman sequels" at the A.V. Club
- Penny Plunderer at The Next Batman Bad Guy
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."