Silver hailed originally from Smallville and attended high school there during the same period as did Clark Kent. Silver developed an inferiority complex while still a teenager and carried it with him into adulthood. Ultimately, his research into the occult led him to the study of dreams, and he finally was able through his research to tap into his own psyche and make his dreams come to life. Using this ability, he sent his adult consciousness back through time to his teen years, and gave himself super-human powers... powers on an even footing with those of Superboy. He used those powers to become an even flashier costumed hero called Astralad, and hoped to become Superboy's crimefighting partner; however, when Superboy tried to caution him about the use of his powers, Silver petulantly decided that the Teen of Steel was merely jealous about having to share the spotlight, and turned against him.
The two powerful teens battled throughout Smallville, and Superboy was eventually able to show Silver that far from being admired, he was becoming feared as a menace. This caused Silver to stop fighting and to admit to what he had done and why. Superboy was then able to convince Silver to abandon his Astralad identity and return to his own era. The teen Silver did not remember his actions as Astralad and resumed leading the life he always had.
- This version of Astralad, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Joseph Silver (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Joseph Silver (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Joseph Silver (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Silver (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."