Like many of Dakota's supervillains, the car thief Joyride got his superhuman driving ability at the event known as the Big Bang. He immediately realized the potential of his new abilities and offered his services to Dakota's chop shops. Joyride soon became the shops' favorite booster since his powers and reckless behavior made it impossible for the police to positively identify him, much less catch him. Joyride soon began to buy into his own hype, to the point than he began wearing a flashy racing suit during his crimes.
Eventually, Joyride's criminal career led him to cross paths with the teen superhero Static. Despite his best efforts, Static could not capture the wily car thief. Static had to end his pursuit to aid drivers injured in an accident caused by Joyride. Joyride unwittingly added insult to injury a few days later when he stole the car of Larry Wade, a friend of Static's alter ego, Virgil Hawkins.
Now, Static was even more determined to capture Joyride. He got his chance at the Dakota Auto Show, a showcase for some of the most luxurious, expensive cars in the world. Joyride could not resist such a tempting target and showed up at the show in full costume. As Virgil, Static shadowed Joyride until the thief decided to steal a prototype Lamborghini Countach. Static then sprang his trap by covering the show floor with nails to block Joyride's escape. Unfortunately, the Lamborghini prototype's tires like the rest of car were bulletproof, rendering the trap useless.
Thinking quickly, Static challenged Joyride to a race on the auto show's ceiling, the winner of which would be free to go his own way. The teen hero sweetened the deal by picking an even sleeker sports car to drive in the race.
Joyride agreed to Static's terms, and one of the strangest car races ever was on. Static allowed the thief to win, figuring the latter would be greedy enough to ditch the Lamborghini prototype in favor of his car. When the proud Joyride got out of the prototype, Static electromagnetically locked the doors on both cars and then pinned the thief between them. Static reminded Joyride how he earlier boasted that his powers worked on any car as long as he was inside it.
Static then turned over the beaten Joyride to Dakota police officers, who walked him to jail.
- Mechanokinesis: Joyride's power enables him to perform superhuman feats in any car he is driving. He can steer a car with no hands through mental control and drive on seemingly impossible surfaces (walls, ceilings, telephone lines, etc.). Joyride also can make a car seem to spring to life. He can cause it to buck like a bronco, rear up on its bumper to do a pirouette, or ensnare people with its seat belts.
- Thievery: Joyride is a talented car thief capable of breaking into, hotwiring, and stealing a vehicle in less than a minute.
- Driving: Even without his powers, Joyride is a highly skilled defensive driver, a skill he developed over years of eluding police pursuits.
- Joyride is an enemy of Static.
- 1 Appearances of Joyride (Dakotaverse)
- 1 Images featuring Joyride (Dakotaverse)
- Quotations by or about Joyride (Dakotaverse)
- Character Gallery: Joyride (Dakotaverse)