Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman converge upon an offshore oil-drilling rig that's being attacked by underground lava-spewing creatures emerging from the earth's crust when another group of superheroes join them to deal with the creatures -- the Ultimen. After successfully stopping the cr
- Don't despair, old chum.
Appearing in "Ultimatum"
- Long Shadow (First appearance; dies)
- Amanda Waller (First appearance)
- Emil Hamilton
- Maxwell Lord (Single appearance)
- Ultimen (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Ultimatum"
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman converge upon an offshore oil-drilling rig that's being attacked by underground lava-spewing creatures emerging from the earth's crust when another group of superheroes join them to deal with the creatures -- the Ultimen. After successfully stopping the creatures' attack together, Wonder Woman offers the Ultimen membership in the Justice League, which Long Shadow is eager to accept, but the rest of the team isn't, with Wind Dragon speaking for the team.
As it turns out, the Ultimen were artificially-created beings made by Project Cadmus with the financing from Maxwell Lord, and that each of the Ultimen members are suffering cellular decay, requiring the creation of clones to take their place without anybody knowing about it. Most of the Ultimen, upon realizing who were really were, decide to take it out on Project Cadmus and Maxwell Lord's company when Long Shadow brings forth some of the Justice League members to help them out. Instead of accepting their help, most of the Ultimen decide to destroy the Justice League members so that they won't be forgotten as the team that took down the Justice League. Eventually, wisdom prevails, and most of the Ultimen are taken into custody by Project Cadmus while Long Shadow was given membership in the Justice League for however long he had to live.
- Amanda Waller makes reference to "the Squad" which she threatens to send after the Ultimen. This is a possible reference to Task Force X, which they later appear in the episode of the same name.
- The episode pays homage to the Super Friends TV series in at least two respects:
- The Ultimen consists of superheroes with powers that are similar to those that are native to the Super Friends TV series: Wind Dragon (Samurai), Long Shadow (Apache Chief), Juice (Black Vulcan), Downpour (Wonder Twin Zan), and Shifter (Wonder Twin Jayna). Their headquarters vaguely resembles the appearance of the Hall of Justice.
- The four primary Justice League heroes in this episode are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman -- the same four primary heroes of the Super Friends TV series, with Robin not accounted for.
- 7 Images from Justice League Unlimited (TV Series) Episode: Ultimatum
- Discuss Ultimatum on the forums
- Episodes of Justice League Unlimited (TV Series)
- Images from Justice League Unlimited (TV Series)
- Gallery for the Justice League Unlimited (TV Series) series
Links and References